Wednesday turn down second bid for Dele Bashiru…… - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Wednesday turn down second bid for Dele Bashiru……

With contract talks ongoing following two impressive displays in the League One opening games, The Star understands that another Tangerines offer – worth just under £1m – has been rebuffed by Wednesday, who clearly value the former Manchester City youngster highly.

It's going to be hard to turn down if they come back with over £1.5m i reckon and with adeniran to come back and fill that spot of progressive athletic midfielder, i'd be tempted to cash in as he's unlikely to sign a new contract with interest from the league above.

Edited by 0742
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

We need to keep him and give him a long term contract. He has the potential to be worth way more to us than £1m or whatever if he helps us achieve promotion.

We need a proper strategy for developing players and give them proper contracts and pathways to first team. Some times it might not work out and they don't make it or progress as the could, but over the long term, with the right approach, it will pay off imo. 

Singing players, developing them a bit then watching them fizz off isn't sustainable, its just plain daft.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Will walk for free. Strange we haven’t offered him a new contract (according to local journalists)

No chance,  if he won’t sign a new deal Chansiri will sell for £1.5m + ,  I think it’s still chump change personally for a player of FDB potential 

Worth £3m of anyones money 

It’s becoming decision time on the matter that’s for sure.

We simply can’t let him walk for pittance next summer. He’s been a breathe of fresh air the last 2 weeks, but if he’s not prepared to commit them I think we need to sell.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

With contract talks ongoing following two impressive displays in the League One opening games, The Star understands that another Tangerines offer – worth just under £1m – has been rebuffed by Wednesday, who clearly value the former Manchester City youngster highly.

He seems to have progressed well and so I would value him closer to £3m.  Especially if we can tie him down to a longer contract.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We are in a position where we have to sell if we get a decent offer. £2m for a League 1 player going out of contract is very good money. Forget potential. We are losing millions a year. And it boils down to the player. If he wants to go, start an auction.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Doctor Duran said:

If we are talking to him about a new deal thenwe need some commitment by him to sign before end of window 

If not £2m plus a big sell on clause.

I think that would be fair but prob have to accept £1.5m if he wont sign..

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

We are in a position where we have to sell if we get a decent offer. £2m for a League 1 player going out of contract is very good money. Forget potential. We are losing millions a year. And it boils down to the player. If he wants to go, start an auction.

This.

He's class, but we have plenty of midfielders and even someone with a similar thrust (albeit less power) in Adeniran. Not the same player by any means, but not awfully dissimilar.

I'll dream that FDB drags us up the leagues, but reality says his time at Wednesday could be almost up. 

Absolutely infuriating that we could be letting someone of his potential go for around a million, especially when Man City get a good wedge of that, but this is what we get for not sorting out a big and long-term contract in spring.

Oh, and I literally cannot believe there were some posters as recently as 3/4 weeks ago saying he should get loaned out to League 2 lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

This.

He's class, but we have plenty of midfielders and even someone with a similar thrust (albeit less power) in Adeniran. Not the same player by any means, but not awfully dissimilar.

I'll dream that FDB drags us up the leagues, but reality says his time at Wednesday could be almost up. 

Absolutely infuriating that we could be letting someone of his potential go for around a million, especially when Man City get a good wedge of that, but this is what we get for not sorting out a big and long-term contract in spring.

Oh, and I literally cannot believe there were some posters as recently as 3/4 weeks ago saying he should get loaned out to League 2 lol

To be fair, he’s shown more these past two games than he did all last season in my view.

You could see the potential but against Portsmouth he took control of the game which I was crying out for him to do in large parts of games last season. Now that he’s showing he can do that, he looks a real asset. But I don’t blame fans for saying he could do with a loan move.

He looked last season to be a player who needed a bit of confidence to get going - and for a young lad a loan move can be beneficial to get that out of him. Fortunately so far it looks like he’s found that confidence in our first team. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1