Sunderland fan in peace - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Sunderland fan in peace

The away allocation isn’t great but the L1 rules are what they are. 
Wednesday and Sunderland are unbelievably evenly matched. We are sat next to each other in the full table as well as the away and home tables. Our goals for/ against are similar. We have both won our home games against each other this season. It’s going to be tough for both sides and I don’t think anyone can call how this will go. 
We are the two biggest clubs in the division as well, which doesn’t mean much in terms of our promotion prospects, but this semi final will be watched by about 80,000 fans life over the two legs which is crazy for League one! 
As for who goes up over all I don’t think anyone can even guess. MK Dons are the better side but I would be surprised to see Wycombe in the final…

• Like 5

My big concern is the occasion and if we go behind early at Sunderland...

Home advantage second is great....if you get to that home leg either level or ahead. 

Im sure Sunderland will fancy putting us under the cosh early. 

Agree with everyone though, shame this isnt the play off final as its 2 'clubs' that would have made the occasion. 

• Like 2

Confident about the home leg just hoping we don’t go and bottle it up at your place. Although we’ve a completely different side to when you put 5 past us tbf. 
For me in both stadiums the size they are I’d rather see them packed out and have a good number of away followings. Our top tier holds around 4k alone ffs. But I get it’s to do with the whole home advantage.

11 minutes ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

As the title says.  I come in peace.  

Just wondering your views on our upcoming games.   2 huge clubs who should not be in this league.   

Disappointed with the respective away allocations.  And would hope that's more down too the sag and local police.  I believe the winners of our game will win at Wembley. 

How confident are you and the rest of your fanbase  ?.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mackem1 said:

Can't call it mate.  2 great teams.  With passionate fan bases who can be the 12th man.  

It would have been an unreal showcase of a final.  

Certainly out of the 2 Sheffield clubs.  I prefer Wednesday. I have been on numerous occasions and never had any trouble. 

If I had to pick an ultimate winner over 2 games? Yous. 

I think you may just have the edge?? 

Totally agree, no one can call this fixture.

I think we are two very evenly matched team. Both teams can either turn up Friday and put the game to bed with a comfortable win in the first leg.

But both teams are also match each other making it all to play for at Hillsborough.

I'm not confident and slightly nervy for Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently the SWFC SAG has insisted on there being a Steward AND a Police Horse sat inbetween each Suderland fan on the Upper West Stand, hence the low allocation.

Do you think this will in any way spoil the occasion for you?

That and not getting to the Final obviously!

lol

• Haha 4

Thoroughly looking forward to this one. 

Your ground is easily my favourite out of all the new ones built recently. I remember coming up when Roy Keane was your manager and you beat us 1-0 through a Grant Leadbetter goal. The roar the Sunderland fans made when Dance of the Knights came on the tannoy was something I'll always remember. Think there was around 37000 there but the noise at that point made it feel like there was 80,000.

Funny enough, Sunderland heavily restricted our ticket sales for that game as well, which really did surprise me. We could have easily sold a lot more than the 2500 I think you gave us from memory. Good game of football as well where your quality shone through eventually.

As for the game, I will admit I wanted you out of the rest of the sides as I feel more confident for some reason against Sunderland than any other club. I think one of the reasons is because we have a defence this time, not a midfielder, left winger and a 21 year old rookie as centre halfs. Granted you played very well that day and you probably would have beat us had we had a defence lined up. I think it would have been more a 3-1 game than a 5-0, which in the end was a relief since every time you went forward that game from the 30th minute, I was expecting the ball to go in the net (when our only defender who was injured went off). Also, going on the display I saw from your performances at Plymouth and home to Rotherham give me some encouragement, although I doubt you'll play that way in the play offs.

I don't think you'll play as bad as you did at Hillsborough either. 

I won't mention injuries as I remember us in the championship play offs against Brighton. Knockaert picked up a nasty injury in the first leg which should have ruled him out. It didn't, and he ended up playing like Cristiano Ronaldo in the second leg - destroyed us to bits. Hence I expect to see Stewart and that lad on loan from Everton up front on Friday night.

Whoever wins out of that match I believe will win the play offs 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mackem1 said:

Morning All. 

As the title says.  I come in peace.  

Just wondering your views on our upcoming games.   2 huge clubs who should not be in this league.   

Disappointed with the respective away allocations.  And would hope that's more down too the sag and local police.  I believe the winners of our game will win at Wembley. 

Hi, hope to see you in the championship in 23/24 seriously may the best team win (us) 

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Nothing against Sunderland at all.
My very first away game as a young’un as well, over a Christmas holiday perhaps early 70s.

I think we lost 1-0 with Tueart scoring.

Just checked. Would probably have been New Year’s Day in ‘72. We lost 2-0.

Pity this is not the final would have been a great spectacle fan wise. Always had a soft spot for Sunderland I stayed in Luton prior to the 91 cup final they had played Luton and won to stay up I think but not sure what league. We walked into a pub packed with Sunderland fans and feared the worse but ended up getting drunk with them and had a great night.

The only good thing for both sets of fans whoever wins should be no problem with tickets for the final cannot see MK or Wycombe selling a full allocation, hopefully unlike our Hull final hopefully the FA sees sense and would give extra tickets ??

• Like 1

I don't think you can get a cigarette paper between the teams.

IMO whoever deals with the pressure best will win.

If we get the Wednesday side that played 0-10m v Pompey then it will be Sunderland, if it's the side that played 10-45 then we can win.