“Stop sacking managers. Let them build something” - Page 2 - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

“Stop sacking managers. Let them build something”

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

You have to back the right manager, that’s the issue. 

A manager who plays a back 3, with a left winger and a right back in those positions when there’s a championship CB available may not be the man we want to build a team long term, plus the poor performances and collapses don’t help either 

If Johnson was dropped yesterday and Storey brought it and we lost the game, people would be moaning at Moore for changing a winning team.

Can’t win really. I wouldn’t have dropped Johnson who I thought had a really good game against Plymouth. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not a fan of sacking managers, however when it’s not working and it’s clearly not then get rid.

Houghton, who I think is a decent manager went to Forest, it wasn’t working so they got rid. Some managers simply don’t work out, Moore looks like one of them. 

Team we have, budget we are spending, place in league, standard of football  = not working out. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If Johnson was dropped yesterday and Storey brought it and we lost the game, people would be moaning at Moore for changing a winning team.

Can’t win really. I wouldn’t have dropped Johnson who I thought had a really good game against Plymouth. 

Yeah I don't get the stick aimed at Moore for not playing Storey. 

It's a big ask throwing a CB into the starting line up a couple of days after he's arrived. You really need a bit of bedding in, in that position.

As you say, if he played and made a couple of mistakes Moore would have got pelters for starting him before he was ready.

He will play next game I'm sure of it.

• Like 1

A manager who plays a back 3, with a left winger and a right back in those positions when there’s a championship CB available may not be the man we want to build a team long term, plus the poor performances and collapses don’t help either 

But everyone on OT and Twitter were screaming at him to keep the same side as last time.

Football fans can't lose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

What good ever came of keeping a manager who's clearly out of his depth?

Somebody always mentions Fergie in 1990 as if that somehow justifies giving every awful manager more time, but they can never give any other examples. 

We are 3 points off the playoffs if we win our game in hand.

We may be underperfoming but I'd hardly say he's out of his depth. 

We are probably about 4 or 5 points behind where I thought we might be at this stage of the season.

Not ideal perhaps but also not evidence that he's an awful manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The coach said:

It’s a rubbish cliche..what the hell does it look like Moore is trying to build??

He is building something to be fair..a gutless, spineless bunch of talentless wasters

Thats 3 things

39 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A fans opinion on the managerial decision to swap out Johnson for a CB isn’t important 

The fan isn’t paid to get results 

We need to play our best 11, and Marvin Johnson at CB doesn’t even come close 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

We are 3 points off the playoffs if we win our game in hand.

We may be underperfoming but I'd hardly say he's out of his depth. 

We are probably about 4 or 5 points behind where I thought we might be at this stage of the season.

Not ideal perhaps but also not evidence that he's an awful manager.

Why didn’t you think we would be in the top 6 at this stage of the season though with the wage bill and squad we have? We got more points than Rotherham and Wycombe last season, they have the same sides as then and we strengthened in the summer as we released only dead wood and signed 16 new players, yet we find ourselves 13 and 12 points behind them respectively. This is the definition of underachieving  

13 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yeah I don't get the stick aimed at Moore for not playing Storey. 

It's a big ask throwing a CB into the starting line up a couple of days after he's arrived. You really need a bit of bedding in, in that position.

As you say, if he played and made a couple of mistakes Moore would have got pelters for starting him before he was ready.

He will play next game I'm sure of it.

He could have started Brennan 

Brennan the CB that we have just invested in an extended deal

As opposed to the flawed system, squeezing square pegs into round holes 

• Like 6

Tough one right now and any manager of Sheffield Wednesday under Chansiri since Carvalhal has not been able to spend and some have been under heavier restrictions.

Even clubs who are able to spend often have managers who really have to have at least 3 transfer windows to create a squad of their liking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Why didn’t you think we would be in the top 6 at this stage of the season though with the wage bill and squad we have? We got more points than Rotherham and Wycombe last season, they have the same sides as then and we strengthened in the summer as we released only dead wood and signed 16 new players, yet we find ourselves 13 and 12 points behind them respectively. This is the definition of underachieving  

As I said in my previous post I expected us to have 4 or 5 more points by this stage of the season. Taking into account our game in hand that would see us in the top 6.

So to answer your question- yes I thought we would be top 6 and I do think we are slightly underachieving.

Everybody keeps claiming Palmer to be a right back he was trained by the club as an attacking midfielder 

played most of his senior football as defender ( granted at right back ) but I think a fair assessment of Palmer is he is a versatile defender I’m never concerned where he plays in a back four especially in this division 

I often see the statement used to levy someone’s point about the incompetence of Moore but for me it spoils the point Palmer is a good defender 

anyway back to the point I too think Moore should be sacked he’s massively underperformed with this group of players 

56 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be fair, it wasn’t the starting line up that cost us the game. The team that won and played well last week deserved another go. That’s how you get consistency. We started well, took the lead and we’re the better team in the 1st half. 
Problem was, Robinson reacted and changed things, then Moore would / could not. That was the time to shore up the defence. When he eventually had to do something he brought on Brown. Most fans could see what to do but the well paid, qualified, professional football manager could not. It happens with frightening regularity. Herein lies the problem. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Nailed it...