it could be a lot worse. - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

it could be a lot worse.

surely not . they still have some decent players and could sell them in 4 weeks to help pay some of this. what would annoy me is they get away with this debts reduced then start next season chucking money about and get instantly promoted . i certainly wouldn`t like a club like derby going under.  i dont think many realise if chansiri didnt back us during pandemic we could have already gone under

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, morganowl said:

surely not . they still have some decent players and could sell them in 4 weeks to help pay some of this. what would annoy me is they get away with this debts reduced then start next season chucking money about and get instantly promoted . i certainly wouldn`t like a club like derby going under.  i dont think many realise if chansiri didnt back us during pandemic we could have already gone under

If Chansiri hadn't mucked it up in the first place we wouldn't be in the position we are now!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, longreach said:

If Chansiri hadn't mucked it up in the first place we wouldn't be in the position we are now!!

TBF Chansiri is hardly to blame for the pandemic and the loss of revenue that came with it, which is the point the poster was making.

DC has kept the club afloat whatever other criticisms can be levelled at him.

• Like 9

I'm sure it's a negotiating tactic to portray the HMRC as the bad guys and pin the blame for their potential demise, which won't happend, just a sale on worse terms than the administrators wanted and perhaps a longer road back to the championship for the club. 

Let's not forget HMRC is taxpayers money, the club is just a business, like every other business in the UK and has obligations to contribute towards the UK tax system and a business who are still paying astronomical wages (compared with the average wage paid by many other businesses).

Yes, I get the argument that this is football and it's different, but it isn't in the eyes of the tax system, nor should it be. 

Let's not also forget that as soon as new owners come in, they will spend money, probably far greater than the legitimate debt owed to the UK taxpayer. The money is there, it's a business decision what to spend it on.

I'm no fan of tax or HMRC and this is not a slight on Derby (more football on general) but annoys me that football clubs think they can plead poverty seeking special terms while in the knowledge they are merely preserving money to be invested (and usually wasted) in the business. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

TBF Chansiri is hardly to blame for the pandemic and the loss of revenue that came with it, which is the point the poster was making.

Chansiri had ballzed it up way before the pandemic.....Using the pandemic and the aftermath is just a convenient excuse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This never happens though it will be for a new owner to get them on the cheap and not have to pay much for the club.

the interest thing is though who owns pride park because I don't think it's derby county. If the company goes bust the assets i.e. Pride park could be sold to pay the creditors.

9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

But equally if DC had paid the players on time we would still be in the championship.

So keeping the club afloat when taking out loan against the ground, anyone could have done that. If DC was using his own money and not someone else's why would he need the loans.

14 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I should think he has!

He's the owner of the club.

When he became the custodian of a football club with almost 150 years of history, he took on the responsibility of looking after it, through good times and bad.

Yes, he's done that by keeping us in business during the pandemic, but so has pretty much every other owner up and down the football league.

It's par for the course.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

DC doesn’t deserve credit for it…it’s his job/business!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

He was also one of the only owners of any football league club that failed to pay the players and was directly responsible for the relegation and lessening valuation of his investment. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Can't see HMRC writing off any money owed, for obvious reasons.

The meeting will be to plead for time which they may grant or at least give a final day or else ultimatum.

The EFL are concerned they go bust mid season causing all sorts of problems.

'As it stands, the inescapable debt is nearly £30m to HMRC, more than £20m to MSD Holdings (US investment group) and another £10m of football debt. No buyer is going to take that on.'

On 02/12/2021 at 09:10, longreach said:

The thing is, though, that clubs like Derby and Wednesday have chucked a fortune trying to compete with the parachute clubs, but have not been allowed to spend enough to actually do it.

Until the parachute business is resolved, it will always happen.

• Like 3