Newcastle takeover. - Page 12 - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Newcastle takeover.

12 hours ago, kopman9 said:

For the last 18 months or so SKY have been prominent in promoting that there is no place for discrimination of any form in football yet they have been spaffing their pants about the takeover by the Saudi led public investment fund backed by the Saidu crown who himself has a very shady background and a reported disregard for human rights which makes a complete mockery of what they have been promoting. Even the Newcastle United LGBTQ group dont have any real concerns other than releasing a statement against their club being taken over by the investment fund, I guess if they have the money nothing else matters.

Newcastle LGBT association were pretty much the only chance of anything relevant being said that would gain much media attention but they bottled it

12 hours ago, kopman9 said:

For the last 18 months or so SKY have been prominent in promoting that there is no place for discrimination of any form in football yet they have been spaffing their pants about the takeover by the Saudi led public investment fund backed by the Saidu crown who himself has a very shady background and a reported disregard for human rights which makes a complete mockery of what they have been promoting. Even the Newcastle United LGBTQ group dont have any real concerns other than releasing a statement against their club being taken over by the investment fund, I guess if they have the money nothing else matters.

Which ever way the wind blows they will follow.

On the Managerial front who realistically would you appoint firstly to stay up this season and push on the next. 

There is no way a top top Manager is going to be interested for at least 18 months, and thats if the stories of the money is true.

Personally think there may be a sting in the tail and it not go quite as well as the Geordies hope.

The new board look like a couple of real amateurs. 
I don’t know how ffp will affect their plans to invest but they need a spending plan, a good recruitment team, and a manager who can manage the fans and the players. There should be no reason why they can’t start bringing in some good players. I expect to see them signing players from France. Jonathan David and Gouiri maybe. 

The takeover was summed up to me when they interviewed Staveley "" we" haven't won anything since 19....1950..1955 is it? The fa league Cup... " was cringe worthy. If she was taking over bird's-eye I bet she wouldn't be so dismissive of it history to the plc board. Utterly disgraceful to know so little and then to be jumping round like it matters to them after 2 minutes. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

The takeover was summed up to me when they interviewed Staveley "" we" haven't won anything since 19....1950..1955 is it? The fa league Cup... " was cringe worthy. If she was taking over bird's-eye I bet she wouldn't be so dismissive of it history to the plc board. Utterly disgraceful to know so little and then to be jumping round like it matters to them after 2 minutes. 

As far as i'm aware, she has no previous history of having worked at a football club. 

She was a power broker for the Man City takeover, but was never a key figure on the club's board etc. 

At Newcastle, she is not only the face of the takeover, but it appears she and her husband will be the ones pulling the strings. 

Can have all the money in the world, but if you've got people running the show who don't know what they're doing, then it will end in tears. 

1 hour ago, TheGaffer said:

She is in it for the money she can make

Which imo makes for a dangerous position for the club to be in

2 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

Not counting winning the Championship (Level 2) in 2016-17 and 2009/10 the last time Newcastle won a major trophy was 1968/69 Fair Cup, but some people I think don't regard this as a major trophy.
Newcastle were a great FA Cup side in the early 1950s winning it 3 times (Beating Blackpool, Arsenal and Man City in the finals) with probably Newcastles greatest player Jackie Milburn scoring in two of these.

5 hours ago, scram said:

She is in it for the money she can make

Which imo makes for a dangerous position for the club to be in

Yep, that's my take.

She isn't in this for the benefit of Newcastle. I think she owns 10 percent of the club too, so you can't just sideline or dismiss her.

The sacking of Bruce was botched. They briefed the press week ago he would be sacked and then they kept him in the job for two more weeks.

As we've found out to our cost, if you have non-footballing people taking the lead on key decisions it can often lead to disaster. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

7 hours ago, SiJ said:

As far as i'm aware, she has no previous history of having worked at a football club. 

She was a power broker for the Man City takeover, but was never a key figure on the club's board etc. 

At Newcastle, she is not only the face of the takeover, but it appears she and her husband will be the ones pulling the strings. 

Can have all the money in the world, but if you've got people running the show who don't know what they're doing, then it will end in tears. 

She used to run Askern greyhound stadium I think lol 

21 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

On the Managerial front who realistically would you appoint firstly to stay up this season and push on the next. 

There is no way a top top Manager is going to be interested for at least 18 months, and thats if the stories of the money is true.

Personally think there may be a sting in the tail and it not go quite as well as the Geordies hope.

I'd have a list of 2 if I were them. ( depending on level of investment) 

If going mega early my 2 would be 

Conte

Jose

Both who are quite volatile, but short term and would attract the pedigree of player to turn them into a force in a quick time.. 

If going slightly more man city in gradually building 

Gerrard

Martinez

If they could tempt either of those think they are both a good fit for their mentality (SG) or style (RM) 

I don't understand the reasoning with those who would like to see Newcastle break into the top 4.  

They have just become like them overnight.  Newcastle now are just another team I would like to see fail.  

The thing is with these money people, people who have more money than sense, and lets be honest here, they really haven't worked for it or sweated for it, so have no real sense of value.  

I see this scenario a lot in business, people who have more money than sense but thick as foook.  

How will this play out, they will pay way over the odds for average players, who will bleed them dry.  

In short, it is naive to somehow think that money equates to success.  It doesn't.

They need to be thrifty big time, but they won't be.  They need to understand the game.  They will throw money around like no tomorrow to their very detriment.

Fingers crossed, they get relegated this season.  

• Like 2