Hillsborough - Used against us - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Hillsborough - Used against us

Yesterday we looked like the away team. 

The fans begin to (rightly) moan. 

The anxiousness builds round the ground. 

The refs do their best not to give us any decisions, despite our desperate shouts… and seem to take pride in doing so. 

The away team cheats and wastes time, goes unpunished. The ref allows it. 

It’s a big, spacious ball of negative energy. 

It’s hardly a fun place to be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

22000 there yesterday...to watch a team in the third tier of English football, after over 2 decades of disappointments 

Course its a bloody bearpit....on top of that you have teams and supporters of those teams who see it as a massive day out...thats not a Wednesday fans delusion...Thats a simple f.ookin' fact...same as if we tipped up at Anfield....Its a simple pecking order.

Our "Players" can't cope cope with it....Oxfords players could...They deserved the win...Be honest

I dunno how you square the circle....Owls fans don't seem to be allowed to be intimidating.....No flags banners ...A simple standing area at a decent price would help....

Thousands of empty seats directly behind the away end...Wadda we do to change that...Nowt

We wander into the place, sometimes out of sheer habit and we sing hi ho and wait for something to happen

Come the day we bloody shout and sing all first half, boo the opposition every time they touch the ball...sheer intimidation....We might get somewhere....but theres no incentive to do it....You Can't exit via leppings lane...you CAN'T bring a flag in....We more or less roll the bloody red carpet out for every f.ooker who tips up...and they LOVE it

On top of that the prices are crap....We have nigh on 20'000 EMPTY seats....but you can't really fill 'em cos season ticket holders would kick off....Honestly ive had a season tiicket since Noah said "I think its starting to spit...but let a bloke in for simply 50p less on a matchday.....I wouldn't have a problem, cos I only buy a season ticket to sit where I want to sit...and get to the away games....Thats more than enough...simple priority...the rest of it?..

Fill the sodding ground, get it intimidating enough and bloody crack on..

Its all too timid..frightened players...nervous supporters and Opposition supporters having a reight good day out..It has to change..

We have become inured to crap, accepting of the ordinary , although its obvious by the attendances the heart is still there....the lungs have stopped sodding working......

Almost all the club has to do is hand out a few flags....let us bring in banners...stop running out of sodding pies....the audience is there but the band hasn't turned up...its f.ookin' infuriating

Good points. Best is filling up the ground. You know what. Its 3rd tier football. If you buy a season ticket then you are not buying one to make sure you always get in the ground. Give up the empty seats for free. We need new support we need the atmosphere it's a win win situation for everyone. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

We used to go on about soulless bowls 

Hillsborough is just a soulless decrepit old ground.

Yea well..I would disagree with you there mate...cos I still get a thrill when The South comes into sight come a matchday...and Ive been tripping down there since 1963......If iot was soulless..it would be f.ookin' empty....

The only part of it thats either Soulless or heartless is on the bloody turf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

22000 there yesterday...to watch a team in the third tier of English football, after over 2 decades of disappointments 

Course its a bloody bearpit....on top of that you have teams and supporters of those teams who see it as a massive day out...thats not a Wednesday fans delusion...Thats a simple f.ookin' fact...same as if we tipped up at Anfield....Its a simple pecking order.

Our "Players" can't cope cope with it....Oxfords players could...They deserved the win...Be honest

I dunno how you square the circle....Owls fans don't seem to be allowed to be intimidating.....No flags banners ...A simple standing area at a decent price would help....

Thousands of empty seats directly behind the away end...Wadda we do to change that...Nowt

We wander into the place, sometimes out of sheer habit and we sing hi ho and wait for something to happen

Come the day we bloody shout and sing all first half, boo the opposition every time they touch the ball...sheer intimidation....We might get somewhere....but theres no incentive to do it....You Can't exit via leppings lane...you CAN'T bring a flag in....We more or less roll the bloody red carpet out for every f.ooker who tips up...and they LOVE it

On top of that the prices are crap....We have nigh on 20'000 EMPTY seats....but you can't really fill 'em cos season ticket holders would kick off....Honestly ive had a season tiicket since Noah said "I think its starting to spit...but let a bloke in for simply 50p less on a matchday.....I wouldn't have a problem, cos I only buy a season ticket to sit where I want to sit...and get to the away games....Thats more than enough...simple priority...the rest of it?..

Its all too timid..frightened players...nervous supporters and Opposition supporters having a reight good day out..It has to change..

We have become inured to crap, accepting of the ordinary , although its obvious by the attendances the heart is still there....the lungs have stopped sodding working......

Almost all the club has to do is hand out a few flags....let us bring in banners...stop running out of sodding pies....the audience is there but the band hasn't turned up... it's f.ookin' infuriating

You've just said it a lot better than what I was trying to say yesterday. 20000 Owls fans should be so intimidating to away team's but it isn't. Managers must think if we can shut the fans up it's half the job done. The majority of the teams we play at home this season will be playing in front of crowds of around 8k let them run out of the tunnel at the beginning to a wall of sound

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PortlandOwl said:

Hillsborough should be a fortress, especially in this league but I actually think teams come and enjoy it. It sounds a touch arrogant but for some players, it will be the biggest game of their careers. 

sure will , I don’t think we have an imposing style , back in league one we would of had reda, Jones , batth , semedo etc all battlers , we would be in teams faces , teams facing set pieces at kop end . Now it’s this modern day let’s copy Man City by passing to cbs and inviting pressure . Ok it works with Ruben Dias and laporte , we invite pressure , build other teams up . We’re in league one let’s play teams at their own game . Physical , press . Work hard etc . 

I wouldn’t imagine any teams have come away from Hillsborough glad the 90mins is over 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Almost all the club has to do is hand out a few flags....let us bring in banners...stop running out of sodding pies....the audience is there but the band hasn't turned up...its f.ookin' infuriating

This captures it for me, man. Wonderful post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, darra said:

You've just said it a lot better than what I was trying to say yesterday. 20000 Owls fans should be so intimidating to away team's but it isn't. Managers must think if we can shut the fans up it's half the job done. The majority of the teams we play at home this season will be playing in front of crowds of around 8k let them run out of the tunnel at the beginning to a wall of sound

Against Wigan, the crowd was just over 11k with around 4k Owls singing their hearts out. Wigan players must've thought they were playing away. At least the band made some noise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

sure will , I don’t think we have an imposing style , back in league one we would of had reda, Jones , batth , semedo etc all battlers , we would be in teams faces , teams facing set pieces at kop end . Now it’s this modern day let’s copy Man City by passing to cbs and inviting pressure . Ok it works with Ruben Dias and laporte , we invite pressure , build other teams up . We’re in league one let’s play teams at their own game . Physical , press . Work hard etc . 

I wouldn’t imagine any teams have come away from Hillsborough glad the 90mins is over 

Back.in the day lge 1was known as a cloggers league full of battlers who got in players faces. Not always nice to watch and if the matches had been refereed by today's refs I don't think many would've ended with 11players on either side.

Guest Andy W
6 minutes ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

This captures it for me, man. Wonderful post.

Yep spot on, away teams and fans should see a trip to us as a no win, scary place to come. poo emselves hearing the noise, get walloped and go home hoping not to have go through that again

30 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

We used to go on about soulless bowls 

Hillsborough is just a soulless decrepit old ground.

Not for me it ain't , I love the place.

One thing struck me yesterday though, when the crowd were singing for Semedo, the atmosphere was electric! Three sides of the ground belting it out and it felt brilliant. Which of the players in our current group would move the fans to sing for them like that?

The crowds are there, as always, it's up to this team to give us something to sing and shout about. I don't think they've got the guts to do it though and that's the problem.

• Like 6

After about 4 minutes yesterday we hadn’t scored then went into our shell. 

Most of these players aren’t big enough characters to play at Hillsborough either…. Only Hutch and Paterson come out like it’s a boxing match, a fight, a competition. 

The managers style isn’t helping, but no one has liked any football at Hillsborough since Carlos’ first season. 

The way the crowd turns is incredible.
Set in our ways.

Annoyed and anxious. 

Everything starts going against us. 
The ground holds no sound in other than grumbling that swirls round like the wind. 

You pay your money and end up more negative than when you walked in… 

Have we ever won a game at Hillsborough when it’s rained ?  

Seriously. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Sooo true and well said

We are a soft touch

It makes me think (ridiculously) that we need to have a large hooligan presence to make our place nasty

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy W said:

Yep spot on, away teams and fans should see a trip to us as a no win, scary place to come. poo emselves hearing the noise, get walloped and go home hoping not to have go through that again

Bingo.

I've thought this for years!

It should be so much louder than it is.

Things need a shake up.