Love Island "stars" and Sport - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Love Island "stars" and Sport

Guest OwlPastie

Guest OwlPastie

During the Euros we had one of the love Island guys interviewing players on BBC. 

Now during The 100 Cricket, another love Island guy being a pundit (on the BBC coverage) 

I know it's a hugely popular show (god knows why) but surely it's better to have people who have worked to be where they are, with passion and commitment to the sport? 

10 minutes ago, OwlPastie said:

During the Euros we had one of the love Island guys interviewing players on BBC. 

Now during The 100 Cricket, another love Island guy being a pundit (on the BBC coverage) 

I know it's a hugely popular show (god knows why) but surely it's better to have people who have worked to be where they are, with passion and commitment to the sport? 

You would think that but when you look at commentators these days it's not due to match analysis it's because of their success/stature as a player (Lampard, Ferdinand, Shearer), or their personality/looks (Scott, Richards). Presumably the TV channels are now asking whether they even need to be ex pros at all. 

I will say Chris Hughes does a great job on ITV for the horse racing. His knowledge of the sport pre-dates going on Love Island but that’s opened the door for him, obviously.

Are you losing out on “proper” analysis by them being on? Or do they have other people on that still do that anyway? In this day and age with televised sport I think you just have to accept that sports and TV companies want to appeal to and target audiences that aren’t you.

A lot of these Love Island presenters go on the show to raise their profile and get into these type of jobs. Quite clever really.

To be honest it can be quite refreshing at times seeing different faces talk about sport. Since when did you have to be a legend of the sport to be qualified to have an opinion on it?

Football for example - Souness and Keane great players but don’t half waffle on and talk some poo . I’d much prefer to listen to Alex Scott. Genuinely.

25 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Thing is, have you ever listened to a pundit and thought ‘wow, they’re talking about some stuff I never even thought about’

They all say the same things. There’s only so many ways you can talk about football 

Neville is the only one who actually offers something a bit different. His insight is top quality to be fair.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yeah he embarrassed himself with the whole Glazers thing. Accusing them of running the club to the ground.

This week they’ve signed Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane

lol

Agreed. The whole Super League outrage looked like a ploy to elevate his own career. I can see him going into politics down the road