Fans should be given a “Golden Share” - The Times. - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Fans should be given a “Golden Share” - The Times.

Think things like a fans golden share sound good in principle but are a bit unrealistic.

Doubt Glazers at Man U or Chansiri would agree to it.

Multi Billionaire owners are not going to listen to average man on the street.

Also how do you know who is a fan to not for this type of thing.
Is it a season ticket holder, someone who goes a few times a year, someone who is a member of a supporters trust?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Who would hold a Wednesday golden share. The Wednesday Trust?

They'll just bow down to whatever chansiri asks for as per. As would all fan trusts because they are all generally useless organisations.

The Trust have been treading a tight line, it's not easy but they've managed it very well and have come out of it (for the most part) looking reasonable and diplomatic.

People are waiting for the Trust to drop the ball, or to become 'yes' men, or to become too militant towards the club.  Everything they do will be criticised, but at least they are answerable to their members, and at the end of the day, it's the members (that's fans) will decide the strategy of the Trust.  IIRC the Trust asked members if they are to change their attitude towards the owner following relegation/embargo/suspended points deduction.  I don't know the outcome of that poll however.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy for the Trust to have a golden share.  However, I don't think it will happen.

We are a capitalist country, businesses fold if they are not sustainable, that's how it goes.  Window cleaners, steel works, car plants, coffee shops, football clubs.  Football is not short of money.  The solution is within the game itself.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They'll just bow down to whatever chansiri asks for as per. As would all fan trusts because they are all generally useless organisations.

That’s a very disingenuous post mate. Why don’t you do what I did and ask them? You might be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Manwë said:

The Trust have been treading a tight line, it's not easy but they've managed it very well and have come out of it (for the most part) looking reasonable and diplomatic.

People are waiting for the Trust to drop the ball, or to become 'yes' men, or to become too militant towards the club.  Everything they do will be criticised, but at least they are answerable to their members, and at the end of the day, it's the members (that's fans) will decide the strategy of the Trust.  IIRC the Trust asked members if they are to change their attitude towards the owner following relegation/embargo/suspended points deduction.  I don't know the outcome of that poll however.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy for the Trust to have a golden share.  However, I don't think it will happen.

We are a capitalist country, businesses fold if they are not sustainable, that's how it goes.  Window cleaners, steel works, car plants, coffee shops, football clubs.  Football is not short of money.  The solution is within the game itself.

Good post, but the problem is your last line. The solution is within the game, but they have refused to acknowledge the problems they have created yet alone try to address them ( ESL) which is why the government are now looking at if they need to step in and ensure the prombles can be sorted.

bear in mind the EFL have just appointed Ridsdale to their board, does that smack of an organisation with trust and integrity that supporters can put faith in?

• Like 2

There are a lot of things which should happen in football,  but won't because of ££££. For the same reason, the government aren't going to rock the boat. 

The report may identify the right changes, but there won't be any appetite for robust governance to implement. A bit of tinkering round the edges maybe to appease the masses with smoke and mirrors.

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Good post, but the problem is your last line. The solution is within the game, but they have refused to acknowledge the problems they have created yet alone try to address them ( ESL) which is why the government are now looking at if they need to step in and ensure the prombles can be sorted.

bear in mind the EFL have just appointed Ridsdale to their board, does that smack of an organisation with trust and integrity that supporters can put faith in?

Nope, it doesn't, but that's the choice of the EFL, not the Govt.  But if Ridsdale had been appointed as head of Costa Coffee, I wouldn't expect Govt to step in and expect Costa Coffee drinkers to be given golden shares in their High Street Costa.  Instead, drinkers can choose to continue with their custom or drink elsewhere.  That's capitalism, that's business.  The difference is, Football(Tm) is given £Bns each year to live broadcast matches that were going to take place anyway, and its members choose how to distribute that money.   They currently choose to distribute it unfairly (IMO), but the Championship vote to keep it this way too.   Maybe the fans of Championship clubs would vote against it, which would be interesting, because presumably, the EPL clubs would also have golden shares and they may be quite happy with the distribution.

The issues within football are almost entirely about players wages, and the clubs haven't really got to grips with it.  The solution is there, right there.  But if business owners are too incompetent to deal with it, with the regulator, then they fall.  Same with any business.

54 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think things like a fans golden share sound good in principle but are a bit unrealistic.

Doubt Glazers at Man U or Chansiri would agree to it.

Multi Billionaire owners are not going to listen to average man on the street.

Also how do you know who is a fan to not for this type of thing.
Is it a season ticket holder, someone who goes a few times a year, someone who is a member of a supporters trust?

Agree with this point.

Could cause fractions between the fans too in certain situations. I am all for fan involvement but the only logical way is having shares within the club and that isn't easy.

38 minutes ago, Plonk said:

That’s a very disingenuous post mate. Why don’t you do what I did and ask them? You might be pleasantly surprised.

They are useless, it's just a front for publicity for the members of the Trust, as every Trust is.

I don't need to email them because I already know they are throw.

2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They do what their members instruct them to do.

Why don't you join, if you want a say?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They are useless, it's just a front for publicity for the members of the Trust 

You do realise when you post this drivel that other people can actually see it and so can see how ridiculous you are making yourself look?

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, TheSlicer said:

91E67DE8-DEC5-40EA-B92C-35B5011AD6DB.thumb.jpeg.0033399728e41d7718c589951fe0a2d9.jpeg

add to that the changing of the badge, emblazoning the owners name across the stand, and creating fake companies. 

Anything else? 

Many things wrong at the club at the moment……… The changing of the badge isn’t one of them!

3 hours ago, Manwë said:

Nope, it doesn't, but that's the choice of the EFL, not the Govt.  But if Ridsdale had been appointed as head of Costa Coffee, I wouldn't expect Govt to step in and expect Costa Coffee drinkers to be given golden shares in their High Street Costa.  Instead, drinkers can choose to continue with their custom or drink elsewhere.  That's capitalism, that's business.  The difference is, Football(Tm) is given £Bns each year to live broadcast matches that were going to take place anyway, and its members choose how to distribute that money.   They currently choose to distribute it unfairly (IMO), but the Championship vote to keep it this way too.   Maybe the fans of Championship clubs would vote against it, which would be interesting, because presumably, the EPL clubs would also have golden shares and they may be quite happy with the distribution.

The issues within football are almost entirely about players wages, and the clubs haven't really got to grips with it.  The solution is there, right there.  But if business owners are too incompetent to deal with it, with the regulator, then they fall.  Same with any business.

I was using the ridsdale appointment As an example of the deep rooted problems in the game. The government committed to act way before that. But if you know the government are taking a long hard look at your industry, putting someone of such dubious history is probably not a very smart move.