Alex Scott: Fifa's first female English-speaking commentator - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Alex Scott: Fifa's first female English-speaking commentator

I like her but as discussed in a thread about her a few weeks back I just wish she’d tone it down a little. Every goal, pass, save is gushed over as though we’re witnessing the second coming of Waddle 

Guest OwlPastie

I think she makes a good presenter, rather than pundit. I don't mean to sound misogynistic, but I think how you look goes a long way in TV. Of course, she's an intelligent, and likeable character. But no matter how great a pundit Steve Cooper could be, he's never going to make it big on TV. That's a face for radio right there. 

Does she actually commentate on televised games?

I've seen her as a pundit and a co-commentator, but not as an actual commentator.

Unless I'm mistaken in the above, why would they choose her for that specific role in FIFA, rather than using an actual commentator as they have in the past?

I feel like I'm missing something here?

18 hours ago, OwlPastie said:

I think she makes a good presenter, rather than pundit. I don't mean to sound misogynistic, but I think how you look goes a long way in TV. Of course, she's an intelligent, and likeable character. But no matter how great a pundit Steve Cooper could be, he's never going to make it big on TV. That's a face for radio right there. 

There are loads of male pundits who wouldn't be considered "attractive". Nearly all the female pundits would be considered "attractive".

21 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Does she actually commentate on televised games?

I've seen her as a pundit and a co-commentator, but not as an actual commentator.

Unless I'm mistaken in the above, why would they choose her for that specific role in FIFA, rather than using an actual commentator as they have in the past?

I feel like I'm missing something here?

They've shoe horned her in because she is super popular at the moment

10 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They've shoe horned her in because she is super popular at the moment

Is what I said above accurate, then?

She's not actually a commentator on televised games, but will be a commentator on FIFA? We're not talking co-commentator here?

If so, that does seem really odd. I feel like that can't be the case, though?

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Is what I said above accurate, then?

She's not actually a commentator on televised games, but will be a commentator on FIFA? We're not talking co-commentator here?

If so, that does seem really odd. I feel like that can't be the case, though?

Yeh. 

It's not odd-she's really popular. When was the last time the FIFA commentary made the news?

33 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh. 

It's not odd-she's really popular. When was the last time the FIFA commentary made the news?

It still seems odd to me for them to use a pundit / presenter as the main commentator, rather than keep with the tradition of using actual commentators. 

I thought the whole point was to replicate TV broadcasts as closely as possible by using the voices you hear when watching at home?

Meh, it's no big deal - I usually mute the TV and listen to music when playing anyway.

:duntmatter:

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It still seems odd to me for them to use a pundit / presenter as the main commentator, rather than keep with the tradition of using actual commentators. 

I thought the whole point was to replicate TV broadcasts as closely as possible by using the voices you hear when watching at home?

Meh, it's no big deal - I usually mute the TV and listen to music when playing anyway.

:duntmatter:

I think they're hoping people don't remember that punditry and commentary are different things lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest OwlPastie
8 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Does FIFA feature the women's game?

I had FIFA 97 and that was the last time so I've no idea

Yeah, it does include the women's game. So that could be where she's involved. 

On 24/07/2021 at 13:36, Guest OwlPastie said:

I much prefer watching handsome Martin   Keown