Derby Struggling…. - Page 2 - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Derby Struggling….

3 hours ago, Raminpeace said:

This is nothing to do with circumventing rules.

It is simply that we were made to field a very junior third team v Chorley in the cup - due to coronavirus - with 14 debuts.

why we were made to play instead of postponing the game I have no idea. 

But as a result 14 juniors were re-classified as senior players.

4 were subsequently released 

we have 16 genuine senior pros (with room for more for 7 potential signings on frees).

but because of being made to field this team of sprogs, we are deemed to have of 26 seniors.

Why get stroppy with us?

it’s just more nonsense 

Definitely, if those junior players had been classed as seniors you would have been punished for fulfilling a fixture.

13 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

@Raminpeace

I see your appeal has been successful in that the kids that played at Chorley are not deemed to be senior pros.

So now you can now sign players but as I understand it they have to be free agents, on max 1 year contracts and subject to wage limits.

Bit of a mess.

Good old EFL, introduce rules, enforce the rules, realise the rules arefookinstupid, overturn their own rules.

But don’t worry, they have now appointed that fine upstanding member of the community Peter Ridsdale to the board.

What could possibly go wrong. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raminpeace said:

It might look like crisis management, but it’s all part of Uncle Mel’s ambitious plan.

Us mere mortals can’t be expected to understand it.

C45756DF-4C95-4BC6-B9E7-CDB653419127.jpeg.8e0f6cec767d6fef92f708da0208d954.jpeg

Has he got really small arms or really big hands?

• Haha 1

On 20/07/2021 at 15:35, Raminpeace said:

This is nothing to do with circumventing rules.

It is simply that we were made to field a very junior third team v Chorley in the cup - due to coronavirus - with 14 debuts.

why we were made to play instead of postponing the game I have no idea. 

But as a result 14 juniors were re-classified as senior players.

4 were subsequently released 

we have 16 genuine senior pros (with room for more for 7 potential signings on frees).

but because of being made to field this team of sprogs, we are deemed to have of 26 seniors.

Why get stroppy with us?

it’s just more nonsense 

I feel for you, as you are similar to us. I have no problem with derby.

The problem is, fottball is screwed. The PL and EFl are 100% responsible for all of it. They are the governing bodies yet have failed with utter irresponsible managing of the situation. They brought the money in, without any understanding or control of how clubs would react. They created a platform of greed that they knew clubs would gamble everything to get the riches, without any understanding of managing it.

Parachute payments and ffp simply exacerbate it.

We have a global pandemic and the efl punish teams for financially struggling. Its a shambles.

Football is dying a slow death and the management structure havent a clue what to do

• Like 3

Rooney looks as much of a mess as Derby in pictures that are floating around Twitter.

There’s an article on the BBC website about him reporting them to police so I won’t link them here… but they’re not very difficult to find on Twitter. Think he’s going to be in a bit of trouble with Colleen again

lol 

• Like 1

Alan Nixon suggested that Derby are able to sign players, but the EFL basically keep moving the goalposts/making it unclear as to what they can and can't do. 

Either that, or Mel Morris is perhaps using that an excuse to spend absolutely nothing. 

The whole thing is completely farcical though. Let's be honest here: Derby are pretty much nailed on for relegation before a ball is even kicked. The whole competition in the EFL is becoming a joke, decided by lawyers and independent panels. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Alan Nixon suggested that Derby are able to sign players, but the EFL basically keep moving the goalposts/making it unclear as to what they can and can't do. 

Either that, or Mel Morris is perhaps using that an excuse to spend absolutely nothing. 

The whole thing is completely farcical though. Let's be honest here: Derby are pretty much nailed on for relegation before a ball is even kicked. The whole competition in the EFL is becoming a joke, decided by lawyers and independent panels. 

and accountants…

(it’s ridiculous that we are still arguing about events from 5 years ago. None of the players play for us now. the manager has had two other clubs since then). 

….but  regarding this latest stuff about being classified as a senior pro even if you’ve only made 1 appearance - I think this is the reason why some of the u23s were subsequently released. We can’t afford to have them count as members of the senior squad. So the rules now mean that young players on the fringes get released. Ok they changed their minds over the Chorley game but seriously….you’re a senior pro if you’ve played one game??  Nice one EFL.

we don’t know where we stand atm.

Why are none of the trialists or players out of contract yet allowed to be re-signed?  Why was Marriott signed and that agreed with the EFL only for it to be subsequently unagreed? Our embargo seems to prevent even freebies signing. I think we should play two nuns at centre back just to show how ridiculous it’s all become,

meanwhile fulham spend £12m on Harry Wilson……but that’s ok because they’ve got golden dollops of parachute money. 

• Like 2

Yep. 

Look, both us and you broke the rules and we've been punished for doing so, but you do wonder what the end game is with the EFL? 

I do honestly wonder if they want to put a "big" club out of business. I mean they've already played their part in sealing the fate of Bury and Macclesfield, but taking out a Derby or SWFC would really make people sit up and take notice. 

It's all very strange and you can't help but feel there is a lot more to this than trying to maintain the financial "integrity" of the league, which is (as you point out) is completely farcical when teams such as Fulham can come down armed with parachute payments and spend 12 million on  a half decent player in Harry Wilson. 

46 minutes ago, Raminpeace said:

and accountants…

(it’s ridiculous that we are still arguing about events from 5 years ago. None of the players play for us now. the manager has had two other clubs since then). 

….but  regarding this latest stuff about being classified as a senior pro even if you’ve only made 1 appearance - I think this is the reason why some of the u23s were subsequently released. We can’t afford to have them count as members of the senior squad. So the rules now mean that young players on the fringes get released. Ok they changed their minds over the Chorley game but seriously….you’re a senior pro if you’ve played one game??  Nice one EFL.

Why are none of the trialists or players out of contract yet allowed to be re-signed?  Why was Marriott signed and that agreed with the EFL only for it to be subsequently unagreed? Our embargo seems to prevent even freebies signing. I think we should play two nuns at centre back just to show how ridiculous it’s all become,

meanwhile fulham spend £12m on Harry Wilson……but that’s ok because they’ve got golden dollops of parachute money. 

Your last sentence is the crucial one.  How do clubs like Derby and Wednesday compete with "parachute" clubs? Answer : They can't . The field is anything but level. No excuses, our owner has made a mess of our club but it is galling to see Leicester winning the league and FA Cup after they entered admin (twice I think).  To see QPR and Wolves play fast and loose with the rules to gain promotion.  Probably half the 92 are living in fear of being found out for some misdemeanour or other. Where does it end ? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Rooney looks as much of a mess as Derby in pictures that are floating around Twitter.

There’s an article on the BBC website about him reporting them to police so I won’t link them here… but they’re not very difficult to find on Twitter. Think he’s going to be in a bit of trouble with Colleen again

lol 

Just seen them, unsure of what he's needing police help with?

Doesn't look great for a married man to be  seen like that though.

5 hours ago, Raminpeace said:

and accountants…

Said it before and I'll say it again.

The parachute payments should be to cover wages of players and nothing else.

Not sure how you'd prove this within the accounts etc but I'm pretty sure you can see the wrong doins when clubs are spunking £12+ million on players. 

It's literally a free hit for... 3 years? Not sure how it all works, but it stinks. 

Parachute covers those signed during the PL campaign(s), but anything else should come out of the usual FFP.

• Like 3

There will be a perfectly rational explanation as to why Rooney would be in a Manchester night club on Saturday night, inviting some hideously deformed young ladies to enjoy the comforts of his VIP booth. And then turning up asleep in someone else’s hotel room, whilst they wave their bare bottoms in his face.

Um……it was because……er……

He was just testing his eyesight before driving home !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4