Tokyo Olympics - official thread - Other Sports - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Tokyo Olympics - official thread

Getting close now.

Qualification in full swing.

Half of America has lost its poo after the U.S. Suspended Sha’Carri Richardson for a positive marijuana test.

Remember marijuana is legal in Colorado and Oregon (the states where she took it). Though still obviously prohibited by the sport’s governing bodies.

Marijuana always seems an odd drug to prohibit. If anything it should hinder an elite athlete.

George Takei has chimed in.

9B495F7C-82A9-41D6-9064-22DE08F0A13C.thumb.png.d266729b97999042a07a4733e1716b61.png

• Like 1

The owls are not what they seem.

@Neal M

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

I'm looking forward to it more than I was with the Euros.

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

Love the Olympics. Usually try to book two weeks off work.

Looking for GB&NI to try to maintain second in table, which will be tough with China and hosts Japan. 

It's so great that GB&NI is an Olympic powerhouse nowadays. I remember 1996. Amazing turnaround. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whatevertrevor said:

BBC documentary Gold Rush: Our Race To Olympic Glory about how GB&NI turned it around from embarrassment in 1996 to being a medal winning powerhouse. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000xpmd

It doesn't impress me anymore- chuck loads of money at sports you can pay to win at, sit down sports that poor countries can't afford to do. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It doesn't impress me anymore- chuck loads of money at sports you can pay to win at, sit down sports that poor countries can't afford to do. 

I dunno mate, 2nd in last table, 3rd before, 4th before, beating a lot of countries that aren't poor. It sure makes the Olympics much more enjoyable. 

6 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

I dunno mate, 2nd in last table, 3rd before, 4th before, beating a lot of countries that aren't poor. It sure makes the Olympics much more enjoyable. 

We just heavily fund these athletes at the moment.  That’s all it is. In my opinion we should be giving that money so kids can do these sports. Not fund some public school boy that got the opportunity in the first place due to privilege

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

We just heavily fund these athletes at the moment.  That’s all it is. In my opinion we should be giving that money so kids can do these sports. Not fund some public school boy that got the opportunity in the first place due to privilege

Fair enough, opinion taken on board. 

5 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Someone was saying the bbc coverage is pretty rubbish this time? Dunno why. Limited coverage- can only show what the main broadcaster is showing?

Eurosport/Discovery+ is also doing coverage, probably the main one then.

Guest OwlPastie

Just watched the swimming heats and Peaty is just in a class all of his own. 

The second fastest man in history sets a new PB, Peaty then steps up and beats that time with a pretty average time by his standards. 

Really looking forward to the track cycling and the street skateboarding. 

17 minutes ago, OwlPastie said:

Just watched the swimming heats and Peaty is just in a class all of his own. 

The second fastest man in history sets a new PB, Peaty then steps up and beats that time with a pretty average time by his standards. 

Really looking forward to the track cycling and the street skateboarding. 

He is a beast isn't he.