SOUTHGATE OUT - Page 2 - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

SOUTHGATE OUT

Just now, scram said:

Ramsey

Robson

Venables

One world cup winner

The other 2 lost semi finals on pens

One was euros which is barely worth half a wc

Southgate is a maverick, the ppl don’t like it but by god does he get results. 

• Haha 1

I like Southgate as a person

I don't rate him as a manager - his "success" was actually a failure against a mediocre Croatia

I said at the time people will look back on it and rue the fact we should have got to the final - it will never be an easier run

I thought after Itialia 90 that we would be back and always fighting at the sharp end - we didn't even qualify for the next 2 tournaments

Robson was absolutely eviscerated (shamefully) for us losing on pens to Germany

Southgate was deified for getting outplayed by f*cking Croatia

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, scram said:

Oh, and we could barely fail to qualify for this tournament - seems like most teams that entered the qualifiers are still in it!

But yeah, great success

You can talk and talk but he still took us to a every semi final 

it was my first and it bought me loyalty to Southgate 

even if he did destroy my childhood in 96 

Whoever replaces Southgate will be worse. 

we just aren’t very good. You surround these average players with Agueros and they look amazing. The England side has never been better than any top half premier league side. 

of course we’ll get mullered by 8 or so teams in this competition. 

I have ZERO fkn idea what you lost expect out of our squad. 

for 20 years England have done naff all and have had a series of awful tournaments, or not even qualifying.

mcclaren

capello

Hodgson

the games against Iceland and algeria and the rest....

but nah nah, you lot, you geniuses, you football brainiacs have cracked it... it’s the bloke who took us to the World Cup final in 2018... that’s the problem.

lol

fk me 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Taz said:

Whoever replaces Southgate will be worse. 

we just aren’t very good. You surround these average players with Agueros and they look amazing. The England side has never been better than any top half premier league side. 

of course we’ll get mullered by 8 or so teams in this competition. 

I have ZERO fkn idea what you lost expect out of our squad. 

for 20 years England have done naff all and have had a series of awful tournaments, or not even qualifying.

mcclaren

capello

Hodgson

the games against Iceland and algeria and the rest....

but nah nah, you lot, you geniuses, you football brainiacs have cracked it... it’s the bloke who took us to the World Cup final in 2018... that’s the problem.

lol

fk me 

Oh sorry

My memory must be playing tricks

I thought we got outplayed by a mediocre Croatia team in the semi final

Must have forgot we won that game after all

Edited by scram
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scram said:

Ramsey

Robson

Venables

One world cup winner

The other 2 lost semi finals on pens

Wonder what the reception to Robson was after the group games in Italia 90 and the performance at Euro 88.

Venables didn't have to qualify for Euro 96 and we were second best and lucky in the quarter final V Spain.

Southgate has made some questionable decisions and is very much an FA man but who worth their salt would be England manager? club managers don't want the national job in their prime in the main.

We've had really good teams and managers with better CV's in the past and have still failed miserably. 

6 minutes ago, scram said:

How many points has he got?

Portugal won the last Euro's and probably played well once in the tournament. 

What gets my goat the most is the mindset, it's so ridiculous.

We played Croatia first game, who to a man I would not swap any of our players with on paper. We get a 1-0 win and it's like job done, great performance. We should be battering them.

Scotland lost 2-0 to the Czech Republic, at home. And we have laboured to a 0-0. We come out and say well Scotland played well and were resilient. No they weren't, they didn't have to do anything. We barely mustered a chance.

Southgate should be flying into them after that game, and make big changes against the Czechs. I think he's probably told them that a draw would be a good result though, and that's part of the problem. Luckily we probably have enough points to qualify now, but if we don't find a rythm to our game by the next game then we're going out early, again, because we're too bothered about maybe conceding than we are about using our attacking talent.

Also, if I hear excuses about the weather or having played lots of games I'm going to mail a poo to the England dressing room after I've had a Mexican night.

• Like 3

Uttercrap

Hit the post, Marshall saves from Mount

Worth the price of admission

Oh and take the best attacking option off to bring on a lad who provides the same

Meanwhile, Kane is clearly not fit, sterling's form's off, and Mount is being told to not attack