Short UK break ideas - Travel and Holidays - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Short UK break ideas


Recommended Posts

Trying to do a short break in the UK - we did have a trip to friends booked, but they have cancelled on us, so now we have few days free and have had enough of doing DIY and drinking excessively at home.  We have visited most of the east coast resorts and have done the usual London, York, Manchester, Edinburgh, etc etc stays......  So, does anyone have any recommendations or hidden gems they can suggest...? 

 

If possible, we'd prefer it to not be too far, otherwise most of the 'short break' is spent in the car travelling there and back, but otherwise pretty flexible and open to suggestions.  Travelling at the end of this month or mid July..... I appreciate we may be pushed to find accommodation.

 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Bath, great place.

Never been before until last August, we're off for our 3rd visit next week

 

Thanks mate - we've not considered Bath...... what makes it so attractive - is there plenty to do/see?

 

Do you have any recommendations for places to visit or hotels/B&B's?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have been doing a number of weekend AirBnB breaks in the UK since before the pandemic.

 

We have been to Bristol/Bath, Wells/Cheddar/Bath, Rye, Chester, Llandudno, Port Merion/Porthmadog, Hull and York and we are booked for Pembrokeshire, Cardiff and Liverpool this summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

We have been doing a number of weekend AirBnB breaks in the UK since before the pandemic.

 

We have been to Bristol/Bath, Wells/Cheddar/Bath, Rye, Chester, Llandudno, Port Merion/Porthmadog, Hull and York and we are booked for Pembrokeshire, Cardiff and Liverpool this summer.

 

Thanks for that OxonOwl - just booked for Bath - had a look and decided why not....

 

Be interested as to which of the above places took your fancy though...? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Upwind said:

 

Thanks for that OxonOwl - just booked for Bath - had a look and decided why not....

 

Be interested as to which of the above places took your fancy though...? 

 

 

 

They all have different attractions.

 

We went to Hull for the Deep and to Chester for the zoo, primarily.

 

Others have places to look at and walk around. Roman baths, Wells' Bishop's Palace, the streets in Rye, Chester, York.

 

I could recommend them all in their own way. It just depends on what you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Bath you can do Wells and Bristol too, depending on time

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Dorset Jurassic coast

 

Durdle Door, Old Harrys Rock, Lulworth Cove, Kimmeridge Bay, Chesil Beach, Isle of Purbeck - such stunning scenery

 

If you want a town to be your base, I highly recommend Weymouth. Otherwise book a B and B in the Dorset countryside that'll give you easy access to them.

 

Beautiful part of the UK 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, katie melua said:

The Dorset Jurassic coast

 

Durdle Door, Old Harrys Rock, Lulworth Cove, Kimmeridge Bay, Chesil Beach, Isle of Purbeck - such stunning scenery

 

If you want a town to be your base, I highly recommend Weymouth. Otherwise book a B and B in the Dorset countryside that'll give you easy access to them.

 

Beautiful part of the UK 

 

Reading this made me smile.

 

I work nights and on my odd nights off, been staying up and I've looked at the UK for hours, for potential holiday destinations.

 

We have a week in Bournemouth booked, with day trips planned for Durdle Door & the Jurassic coast.

A week in Brighton booked at Jurys Inn seafront, we paid £400 and the current price is £1200, so happy we got a great price.

A night in Cleethorpes and 3 nights in London.

 

Been to Brighton afew times now, even when it's easier to travel abroad, we'll still be going back. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

We have a week in Bournemouth booked, with day trips planned for Durdle Door & the Jurassic coast.

A week in Brighton booked at Jurys Inn seafront, we paid £400 and the current price is £1200, so happy we got a great price.

A night in Cleethorpes and 3 nights in London.

 

 

I know what you mean about prices being inflated...... we managed to book into a central Bath hotel for three nights (including breakfast) and it came to £450.  I think we got lucky TBH - I can see prices going only one way the longer the lockdown restrictions carry on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/06/2021 at 14:24, bigash_swfc said:

 

Reading this made me smile.

 

I work nights and on my odd nights off, been staying up and I've looked at the UK for hours, for potential holiday destinations.

 

We have a week in Bournemouth booked, with day trips planned for Durdle Door & the Jurassic coast.

A week in Brighton booked at Jurys Inn seafront, we paid £400 and the current price is £1200, so happy we got a great price.

A night in Cleethorpes and 3 nights in London.

 

Been to Brighton afew times now, even when it's easier to travel abroad, we'll still be going back. 

 

 

 

Enjoy it

 

If you have children and the places are open, visit the Sealife centre in Weymouth instead of the Oceanarium in Bournemouth. Much better place in my opinion

 

Also, do the Swanage Railway from Wareham to Swanage and stop at Corfe Castle. There's also the abandoned Tyneham Village which if open, is well worth a stop at. From memory, the school there still has the lesson on the board that it was doing before the village got evacuated, only to never return. The Military usually open the village up in the Summer months for people to visit.

 

If I was to return to the UK, somewhere around there will be the place I move back to. Its the area I always recommend travelling Kiwis' to go and visit when asked. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/06/2021 at 14:13, Upwind said:

Trying to do a short break in the UK - we did have a trip to friends booked, but they have cancelled on us, so now we have few days free and have had enough of doing DIY and drinking excessively at home.  We have visited most of the east coast resorts and have done the usual London, York, Manchester, Edinburgh, etc etc stays......  So, does anyone have any recommendations or hidden gems they can suggest...? 

 

If possible, we'd prefer it to not be too far, otherwise most of the 'short break' is spent in the car travelling there and back, but otherwise pretty flexible and open to suggestions.  Travelling at the end of this month or mid July..... I appreciate we may be pushed to find accommodation.

 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

 

 

Where are you starting from Sheffield?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/06/2021 at 14:46, Upwind said:

 

Thanks mate - we've not considered Bath...... what makes it so attractive - is there plenty to do/see?

 

Do you have any recommendations for places to visit or hotels/B&B's?

 

 

 

 


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/06/2021 at 10:28, Upwind said:

 

I know what you mean about prices being inflated...... we managed to book into a central Bath hotel for three nights (including breakfast) and it came to £450.  I think we got lucky TBH - I can see prices going only one way the longer the lockdown restrictions carry on.

 

 

It's so good in Bath


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...