Euro 2021 - Page 5 - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Euro 2021

Sterling, Rashford and Sancho as options when chasing a goal.

Some pace to bring on when defenders are starting to feel a bit leggy 

Some serious attacking power in our team currently, let's hope Gareth doesn't try to be defensive and negative with them. 

8 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Would have Ward-Prowse in the squad for his dead ball ability over Phillips personally

I don't mind Phillips over JWP, neither should be getting game time barring injuries/a comfy game to rest key players. 

I'd have taken Godfrey over Saka though, specially with Maguires fitness and Coady not been used in a 4 often 

• Like 2

Phillips is there as CDM depth due to Henderson fitness. 

Trent is there to quiet the press from criticising Southgate if he was left out. 

Saka is backup to Sancho on the right wing. 

Bellingham beat JWP for a spot. 

49 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I don't mind Phillips over JWP, neither should be getting game time barring injuries/a comfy game to rest key players. 

I'd have taken Godfrey over Saka though, specially with Maguires fitness and Coady not been used in a 4 often 

I don’t think Coady has done enough to warrant a call up personally. 

Was rightly called up for the previous squads but, others more deserving of a place. Godfrey, Keane, White and Dunk all ahead of him for me. 

22 minutes ago, Bez said:

Phillips is there as CDM depth due to Henderson fitness. 

Trent is there to quiet the press from criticising Southgate if he was left out. 

Saka is backup to Sancho on the right wing

Bellingham beat JWP for a spot. 

Saka is the back up to the 3rd choice winger, and plays on the left? 

Are you Southgates assistant? 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That would represent a backward step for me, we went 3 at the back in the World Cup semi-final and couldn't keep the ball or contain effectively as the game wore on.

We have looked more fluid with 4-2-3-1 recently and it better accommodates our attacking strength. 

Play the attacking full-backs in the games we expect to be on top and the more defensive ones in the games against top sides. Play 2 holders in the big games and just one if we are well on top or need to go for goals. 

I completely agree with you. I just think Southgate is very conservative and he doesn’t trust our defence is solid enough in a 2. 

1 minute ago, Night King said:

I completely agree with you. I just think Southgate is very conservative and he doesn’t trust our defence is solid enough in a 2. 

A justifiable fear for sure. 

Don't think we will learn much from the friendly tomorrow, have to wait and see what we go with against Romania as a pointer.

Our central defence and goalkeeper is our weak point but I can't see how adding an extra CB to compensate for this works. It might make us a bit harder to break through but it detracts from our strength in our attacking options. 

It didn't work last time around and I was hoping that Southgate had moved away from this with the 4-2-3-1 we have played more recently. Moving back to a back 3 now would make little sense in my opinion but like you I wouldn't bet against it unfortunately. 

17 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Saka is the back up to the 3rd choice winger, and plays on the left? 

Are you Southgates assistant? 

Sancho should start.  

Trent is the best passer of a ball we have and has been in outrageous form the last two months. Reece James is the best all round right back we have and Walker is a Southgate favourite who has had a good season in the best team in the country. I dont really watch Spanish football so couldn't say how Trippier has been playing, he'd be the one i'd have left out and i'd have picked another centre back, either Tomori or Godfrey.

The rest seemed easy to pick as soon as Greenwood was ruled out. I'm not a Lingard fan and his purple patch for West Ham didn't mean he should get in. 

Our midfield needs to include Bellingham. He's just too good to leave out. When you can be the best player on the pitch in a Champions League knockout game away from home against City it doesn't matter if you're 17.

Our attacking options are rightly lauded. Let's hope he picks the best players in their right positions. Kane, Foden and Grealish have to play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Trent is the best passer of a ball we have and has been in outrageous form the last two months. Reece James is the best all round right back we have and Walker is a Southgate favourite who has had a good season in the best team in the country. I dont really watch Spanish football so couldn't say how Trippier has been playing, he'd be the one i'd have left out and i'd have picked another centre back, either Tomori or Godfrey.

The rest seemed easy to pick as soon as Greenwood was ruled out. I'm not a Lingard fan and his purple patch for West Ham didn't mean he should get in. 

Our midfield needs to include Bellingham. He's just too good to leave out. When you can be the best player on the pitch in a Champions League knockout game away from home against City it doesn't matter if you're 17.

Our attacking options are rightly lauded. Let's hope he picks the best players in their right positions. Kane, Foden and Grealish have to play.

Trippier has just been part of the side that won La Liga and also got in the team of the year

Athletico’s biggest blip of the season came at the same time Trippier was facing his ban

James will start though and Walker will be part of a back 3

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Trippier has just been part of the side that won La Liga and also got in the team of the year

Athletico’s biggest blip of the season came at the same time Trippier was facing his ban

James will start though and Walker will be part of a back 3

Yeah, fair enough. I don't think I've watched an Athletico game all season. He may have been tremendous but he's fourth choice for me after Walker.

England have runners, but lack (forward) passers 

Its been the case for years now. Was it 2 or 4 years ago? ... When Ali played hide & seek, while Henderson tried to be a 1 man midfield 

Ingerlund need Bann0n Bannan.png.ef443b7f1e6292f8b7f9d9cec389e995.png

17 hours ago, camffiti said:

England have runners, but lack (forward) passers 

Its been the case for years now. Was it 2 or 4 years ago? ... When Ali played hide & seek, while Henderson tried to be a 1 man midfield 

Ingerlund need Bann0n Bannan.png.ef443b7f1e6292f8b7f9d9cec389e995.png

Not sure about that now