Euro 2021 - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Euro 2021

France, Portugal & Belgium the favourites for me. Be surprised if the winner comes from outside these 3. England have a decent chance of getting to the latter stages.

France & Portugal in the same group as Germany is tough but with the 4 best 3rd placed teams to qualify they should be OK. One of them will meet a group winner in the last 16 if they get through though. 

Can't believe that Spain squad.

No Sergio Ramos ..didn't realise he'd only played 5 games for Real Madrid this season.

He's like Sachin Tendulkar for me ..you only realise how long he's been around when you stop and think about it.

France and Portugal especially look strong .  We aren't bad on paper..at least six English players will start the Champions League final. Never been about potential with us though has it?

Problem England have is that getting to the final already seems to be bare minimum expectation after getting to the semi finals of the WC.

Like any tournament,  we have the capability of going out at the group stage never mind anywhere else.

Teams like Spain, Germany and Netherlands aren't looking great ..danger seems to be teams like Poland and Turkey who are on form and have a great team vibe about them. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Can't believe that Spain squad.

No Sergio Ramos ..didn't realise he'd only played 5 games for Real Madrid this season.

He's like Sachin Tendulkar for me ..you only realise how long he's been around when you stop and think about it.

France and Portugal especially look strong .  We aren't bad on paper..at least six English players will start the Champions League final. Never been about potential with us though has it?

Problem England have is that getting to the final already seems to be bare minimum expectation after getting to the semi finals of the WC.

Like any tournament,  we have the capability of going out at the group stage never mind anywhere else.

Teams like Spain, Germany and Netherlands aren't looking great ..danger seems to be teams like Poland and Turkey who are on form and have a great team vibe about them. 

Big loss for Spain and generally their squad to me looks as weak as it has done since the early 2000's. Their form is decent though, something like 1 defeat in the last 22, including a recent 6-0 win against Germany. 

A lot depends on the draw following the group stage for me - if all 3 of France, Portugal and Germany qualify from the same group, who they end up facing may be key. 

49 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Big loss for Spain and generally their squad to me looks as weak as it has done since the early 2000's. Their form is decent though, something like 1 defeat in the last 22, including a recent 6-0 win against Germany. 

A lot depends on the draw following the group stage for me - if all 3 of France, Portugal and Germany qualify from the same group, who they end up facing may be key. 

It irks me that, in most groups, 3rd place progresses. Preferred it with 16 teams, top 2 from each group progressing. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Well, England know how important the draw is in a tournament! 

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

It irks me that, in most groups, 3rd place progresses. Preferred it with 16 teams, top 2 from each group progressing. 

Agree totally. Portugal one the last Euro's despite failing to win a single group game against Hungary, Iceland and Austria. 

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

Well, England know how important the draw is in a tournament! 

Exactly. To get to a World Cup Semi final having only had to see off Tunisia, Panama, Colombia and Sweden was favourable to say the least.

Euro 2016 Portugal failed to win a group game then faced Croatia, Poland and Wales on their way to the final, not the toughest of tests. 

Someone could easily get a fair run with the draw this time too. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agree totally. Portugal one the last Euro's despite failing to win a single group game against Hungary, Iceland and Austria. 

Won even!

:ghoulguy:

Don't forget Germany have 3 home games in Group F, and Hungary have 2. So it won't be easy for France and Portugal. Speaking of the draw, our group is interesting. The winners play the runners-up in Group F in the last 16 (probably France, Germany or Portugal), but the runners-up play the runners-up in Group E (probably Sweden, Poland or Slovakia). We would be at home in the last 16 if we won the group, but I don't know which I'd prefer.

• Thanks 1

The French and Belgium’s probably look the strongest but these young English players don’t have the fear that other generations have. We’ve got plenty of dangerous, fast attacking options.. the weakness is probably with the CB’s and GK. But I fancy us tbh! Can’t imagine any team looking forward to playing us!

Also can’t wait to see Foden in the tournament!

It’s really wide open which makes it very interesting. I think we’ve got a great chance off we defend well, my main concern is Southgates obvious tactical flawes but his conservative approach could help our chances here because if we keep games tight we’ve got a lot of watch winners in the final third. Portugal look strong to me but have a very difficult group.