Soundbars - Tech and Gadgets - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Soundbars

BIG D

I’ve kept away from these since I walked into Richer Sounds about 5 years ago and the guy told me ‘they’re  sh it’.

My Samsung TV is only a few months old and I like a bit more sound than the TV provides so I play it through my Blu Ray set up which sounds great but there’s a syncing lag problem which drives me mad. I’ve tried adjusting the lag on Sky Q etc and cannot get it right.

So, I don’t want to spend a fortune! A Samsung one would be ideal but not sure about the reviews so looking at a Bose one which is more expensive.

Looking at these 2

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-hw-s40t-bluetooth-all-in-one-compact-sound-bar-black/p5325722

https://www.johnlewis.com/bose-tv-speaker-bluetooth-sound-bar/p5061146

I got that Bose one earlier this year.. it’s pretty good. So much better than the built in TV speaker (Hisense Telly three years old). I have it come though the TV and not had any lagging issues. Size was perfect for the little space under TV, next to Sky box.

The reviews on the other one don’t look great. I’m happy with the Bose, impressed with the clarity and how the sound fills the room! It doesn’t give you the full surround sound immersion but for the money and it being hassle free (no need to have speakers and big ugly box thing next to telly) I’d recommend it! 

• Thanks 1

Well the guy from Richer sounds needs to brush up on his tv's. Modern tvs have the speakers in the back or facing downwards, facing away from the viewer, its a big gripe of mine how bad modern tv's sound.

Ive got a Yamaha bar. Its highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2021 at 19:58, Señor Sam said:

Well the guy from Richer sounds needs to brush up on his tv's. Modern tvs have the speakers in the back or facing downwards, facing away from the viewer, its a big gripe of mine how bad modern tv's sound.

Ive got a Yamaha bar. Its highly recommended.

I imagine the guy in Richer Sounds was saying they are rubbish compared to a dedicated A/V receiver setup (Richer Sounds’ bread and butter) rather than in comparison to notoriously terrible inbuilt TV speakers?

That said, soundbars have significantly improved over the last few years so are well worth it over nothing at all!

• Like 1

Very happy with the Bose speaker.

I didn't want an all singing soundbar, already got a decent Sonos speaker and a Blu Ray surround set up. There's only so much the Mrs will let me get away with

lol

18 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I can add a Bose sub if needed. It’s more than the speaker!

I’ve just moved into an apartment - quite modern, purpose built. I have neighbours above and below - I’m so tempted to invest in some proper sound equipment but I have no idea how soundproof the building is. 

44 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

....I have no idea how soundproof the building is

The last speakers that I bought came with a complimentary t-shirt.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-08-at-15_37_48.png.8f579749b4499386a637458d6692daf3.png

• Haha 4

The reviews are very good for it. I nearly got one but in the end but couldn’t justify it.

I think the Bose speaker I ended up with is a neater looking unit and the sound is plenty good enough (for me anyway).

1 hour ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I was looking around the other night for good Soundbars. Are the Sonos Beams good or not?

its good but pair it up with some sonos surrounds or the cheaper ikea compatible ones

• Like 1