Holidays / Traffic Light System / Testing - Travel and Holidays - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Holidays / Traffic Light System / Testing

Thought it might be worth while pooling information into here if anyone is going away in the coming months on places to get tests in person/by post etc.

We’re off to Portugal in just over 2 weeks - we’re looking at the Randox PCR kits for the flight out and Day 2 on return back in the U.K., has anyone used these before? £120 for both with a Ryanair code. 

Some of the others on the Govt list don’t have very good reviews - whole thing is a shambles really, home test could return negative tok etc - quite concerned something won’t go right...!

If anyone else has used any tests that they can recommend - please post in the below, sure it will help a few out 

54 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Thought it might be worth while pooling information into here if anyone is going away in the coming months on places to get tests in person/by post etc.

We’re off to Portugal in just over 2 weeks - we’re looking at the Randox PCR kits for the flight out and Day 2 on return back in the U.K., has anyone used these before? £120 for both with a Ryanair code. 

Some of the others on the Govt list don’t have very good reviews - whole thing is a shambles really, home test could return negative tok etc - quite concerned something won’t go right...!

If anyone else has used any tests that they can recommend - please post in the below, sure it will help a few out 

In the exact same boat as you expect going in four weeks instead of two. Let us know how it goes?

10 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

In the exact same boat as you expect going in four weeks instead of two. Let us know how it goes?

Whereabouts are you going in Portugal mate? 

We've booked Albufeira - however managed to book a free lateral flow test at a Government test centre over there which meets criteria to come home. I think we're going to get a Randox test to fly out which is £60 each and then buy a Eurofins test at £45 for when come back on Day 2. 

I was booked Ryanair to go to Malaga on 6th June, for 5 days. £44 for a return flight

Obvs its amber so might be different to Portugal

Basically - I have to be tested before I go (£60), I need a test 2 days before I fly home (40 euros), then 2 tests (Day 2 & 8 - £120) when I get back.

£200 on tests - plus a 10 day quarantine - for 5 days in Spain.

Sacked it, balls to that

"The best poster on Owlstalk by far" - Kaven Walker

I would have expected a video from our resident travel expert in the next few days......

17 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I was booked Ryanair to go to Malaga on 6th June, for 5 days. £44 for a return flight

Basically - I have to be tested before I go (£60), I need a test 2 days before I fly home (40 euros), then 2 tests (Day 2 & 8 - £120) when I get back.

Sacked it, balls to that

Just have a Full English at home while watching Only Fools and Horses and recreate the experience.

• Haha 7

Just now, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Just have a Full English at home while watching Only Fools and Horses and recreate the experience.

Malaga. Not Magalluf :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Whereabouts are you going in Portugal mate? 

We've booked Albufeira - however managed to book a free lateral flow test at a Government test centre over there which meets criteria to come home. I think we're going to get a Randox test to fly out which is £60 each and then buy a Eurofins test at £45 for when come back on Day 2. 

Flying into Lisbon, but not entirely sure where we're staying yet, suspect it'll be a mixture of Lisbon and one of the beach houses. 

Thanks for the heads up on the free lateral flow test, we'd get to give any consideration to testing to come back except "we'll figure it out" lol

1 hour ago, Big Malc said:

Why do you have to buy a test when you return to the UK?  Can’t you just go to one of the test centres?

You can only get a PCP test if you have symptoms 

Do these private tests link into the track and trace system?  Can't fathom it out. If not, other than an unfortunate spot check, who on earth would ever know (i'm thinking more the PCR tests upon arrive home, not the pre flight departure tests) 

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Sacked it, balls to that

What would happen if you tested positive in Spain?

7 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

What would happen if you tested positive in Spain?

I guess you'd have to stay....

Oooooooh.... I'm liking that

1 hour ago, LoadABallacks said:

Do these private tests link into the track and trace system?  Can't fathom it out. If not, other than an unfortunate spot check, who on earth would ever know (i'm thinking more the PCR tests upon arrive home, not the pre flight departure tests) 

On the PLF you need to fill in before coming home, you have to put the information in of the test you've booked - order number etc. 

Who checks it? God knows - you could probably lie and get away with it I assume. 

No tests can be carried out at the NHS centres - you can't take lateral flows with you from the NHS either. They must be paid for tests from private clinics.

I have just ordered 2 tests from Randox Health - £120 with the promo code RYANGREEN. This is the pre-departure test and Day 2 test when back in the UK - done via the post, results back in 24 hours. 

10 hours ago, Grandad said:

I guess you'd have to stay....

Oooooooh.... I'm liking that

I assume you’d have to find accommodation at your own expense until you tested negative?