London tips - Travel and Holidays - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

London tips

Having a mid week break in the smoke mid July with the Doris. UK holidays yippee..

Stopping in a fine hotel (suite i may add with executive lounge access - free beers and snacks) right next to Tower Bridge.

Mon - Fri.

Hit me up with must do visits and tips.  Like to drink and eat and meandour around aimlessly in the day.

Tower of London will be one.. but like a true yorkshire man like the freebie options.

Also this congestion charge malarky - If I put my car in the hotel car park - do I pay the charge or just for the day i travel in and then out ?

Tower of London is great, we did it when the poppies were on. Allow plenty of time though, the queues for tickets were long (this is actually just up the road from the entrance).

Also queues for food/drinks etc were bad so might be an idea to take your own.

Cruise down the Thames is ok as well if you've not done it before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Tower of London is great, we did it when the poppies were on. Allow plenty of time though, the queues for tickets were long (this is actually just up the road from the entrance).

Also queues for food/drinks etc were bad so might be an idea to take your own.

Cruise down the Thames is ok as well if you've not done it before.

Pre Booking tickets available ? or do you still need to queue to collect them ?

Good tip on food - will defo do this.

Good Idea on cruise will look into that.

re the tickets I'm not sure because we went down on the train and there was some offer on if you kept hold of your tickets as proof (might have been 2 for 1?) there was also an offer on the boat trip.

Obviously no good if you're driving down! I would think you'd be able to pre-book for The Tower.

Posted (edited)

Just checked and you can pre-book for The Tower. In fact you have to at the moment.

https://skygarden.london/booking/

This is also worth doing but you have to quick booking because it's free to go up to the gardens!

'Access to the Sky Garden is free of charge on weekdays 10am-6pm and weekends 11am-9pm. Please note we have a limited number of tickets and reservations available; this has been carefully designed to adhere to the COVID-19 prevention guidelines and to protect staff and customers alike. We ask you to please cancel your ticket if you can no longer make it so we may allow another guest to visit.

Tickets are currently available to book up to two weeks in advance. Tickets are only valid for the date and time stated on the ticket and have a time limit of 1hr from time of entry.'

You've probably noticed I like a cheap day out

lol

Edited by BIG D
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Just checked and you can pre-book for The Tower. In fact you have to at the moment.

https://skygarden.london/booking/

This is also worth doing but you have to quick booking because it's free to go up to the gardens!

'Access to the Sky Garden is free of charge on weekdays 10am-6pm and weekends 11am-9pm. Please note we have a limited number of tickets and reservations available; this has been carefully designed to adhere to the COVID-19 prevention guidelines and to protect staff and customers alike. We ask you to please cancel your ticket if you can no longer make it so we may allow another guest to visit.

Tickets are currently available to book up to two weeks in advance. Tickets are only valid for the date and time stated on the ticket and have a time limit of 1hr from time of entry.'

You've probably noticed I like a cheap day out

lol

just look at the sky garden (free sounds good) and I'll have to book probs next month.

• Like 2

The museums are all free and a good place to spend time.

British & Natural History museums are the best, but you could also hit up the Victoria & Albert as it's quite near the Natural History. Likely to be mental busy though

Brick Lane & Spitalfields Market are nice to wander, drink & eat, especially during the summer as it'll be quite busy and hopefully warm.

Soho is great for a wander around, stop at bars, loads of places to eat, just off Oxford Street too if you want to send the mrs off shopping whilst you sit and have a few pints 🙂

• Like 3

Trying to recommend things when I live here leaves my mind as a blank, especially when I'm trying to think more what I'd do as a local rather than as a tourist

Columbia Road Flower Market on a Sunday morning is a unique experience.

You could get the Thames Clipper from London Bridge and go down to Greenwich, walk around Greenwich Park, go to the Naval Academy/Maritme Museum/Observatory, also a decent market in the square on a Saturday which does loads of different food. Sometimes you get an amazing captain, who will give a tour on the boat and point out places of interest as you make your way down to Greenwich.

If you're into your food and eating, you could take a look at an evening meal in Hawksmoor  https://thehawksmoor.com/ which is a top notch Steak Restaurant with a few places around the City,

I mentioned Brick Lane in my last post which is an experience if you want to grab a curry. it's like walking around benidorm with all the restuarants trying to get your custom by giving deals as you walk down

If you're down here on a Sunday, go to this place for Sunday Lunch https://theblacklock.com/ - they do a fantastic Sunday roast, but it gets booked in advance for months, so you'll need to book sharpish for July, the weekday menu there is so so, but the all in Sunday Roast is amazing.

Whenever my mum visits me she never wants to go anywhere else on a Sunday 🤣

• Like 1

Another tip, totally left field. I've been to London maybe 3 times a year, for the last 15 years. Always searching for something new. 

Blackfriars trains station. 

£13 train to Brighton, takes 55 minutes.

Its a brilliant day trip, seaside walks in Brighton are the best I've had in the UK.

Fish and chips by the sea and a trip up the British Airways I360. Brighton Marina is also a nice walk for a drink

20200730_143110.jpg

20200730_120952.jpg

20200730_111554.jpg

20200729_134412.jpg

• Like 1

Wouldn't go out of your way to go there, but if you happen to be down Fleet Street then there's a little pub called Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese which offers a dimly lit basement and old-fashioned kind of vibe. 

Don't go for food, unless you fancy paying 3 quid for 9 chips.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2021 at 14:31, Doctor Duran said:

just look at the sky garden (free sounds good) and I'll have to book probs next month.

We did sky garden. It’s excellent 

• Like 1

1) you have to prebook EVERYTHING these days. Even the "free" stuff - so you need to be careful to plan ahead (look NOW for free spots the weekend you're going. Including restaurants and bars

2) If the Euros are on when youre here theres a fan village at Potters field the other side of the river from Tower of London

3) The price of booze has skyrocketed! be forewarned. 

• Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 16:42, bigash_swfc said:

Another tip, totally left field. I've been to London maybe 3 times a year, for the last 15 years. Always searching for something new. 

Blackfriars trains station. 

£13 train to Brighton, takes 55 minutes.

Its a brilliant day trip, seaside walks in Brighton are the best I've had in the UK.

Fish and chips by the sea and a trip up the British Airways I360. Brighton Marina is also a nice walk for a drink

20200730_143110.jpg

20200730_120952.jpg

20200730_111554.jpg

20200729_134412.jpg

Yeah decent old view up the I360

image.thumb.png.08b15c506923b0b2074e9a714206c2fa.png

• Love 1