Official :6 English teams agree to Super League - Page 142 - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

5 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

But again, if they haven’t broken any rules then you can’t punish them surely? Don’t get me wrong, something should happen, but the situation needs to be looked at objectively. like Sheffield Dave says, there may be a rule where you can’t sign up for another competition whilst in the PL, which if true would warrant punishment 

But they have broken the rules. They signed proper contracts to join an alternative ungoverned league (ungoverned by FIFA, UEFA, FA that is). That is a clear breach of the rules. It is also an implicit resignation from the EPL. If they want to, the football authorities could have a field day with this, but doubtless it will just be a slap on the wrist nothing else.

For things to really change, it requires proper and strong government intervention in terms of:

1. Proper involvement of fans both at board level and in terms of club ownership
  2. A mechanism (ironically like they have in the US) to force unscrupulous/incompetent owners to sell
  3. A salary cap determined for each division (max in EPL at 50k per week -  that's 2.6 million per year)
  4. Re-introduction of safe standing
  5. A ceiling set on ticket prices by league to stop pricing fans out of the game
  6. Return of far more games to terrestrial TV
  7. An independent regulatory body directly responsible for oversight
  8. A mechanism to transfer ownership of the clubs to the fans (ultimate aim for fans to have a minimum 51% stake)
  9. A regular review of the game by the independent regulator and fans representative bodies every 5 years
  10. All clubs and their grounds to be classed as entities of cultural and historical significance to give some protection

Any government (or party) that would be prepared to take such steps (even half of them) would be on an absolute winner right now. For that reason I believe it would get total cross party political support so no one party can claim the sole credit for it.

There will never be a better opportunity to force change on the game.

A way has to be found to give the "people's game" back to the people no matter what it takes.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Big Malc said:

Well, English football fans will care if the talent starts disappearing abroad again.  That was one of the reasons the PL became so popular as the big names started appearing here in our stadia where we could watch them live rather than just on satellite tv that very few people had at that time.

Chasing after these 'galacticos' whatever the cost is what has caused these clubs with by far the biggest turnovers in football to have bigger debts than Chansiri could rack up even if he stayed here for another couple of decades.

A 'superstar' footballer earning £400,000 per week isn't 10 times better at football than a lesser Premiership footballer earning £40,000 per week. 

He is essentially a little bit better at everything than them, in a way that matters in professional sport, but won't really impact on how much the spectator enjoys watching them play.

Football has tried throwing money at superstars and it has led to the unsustainable situation it finds itself in now where even ******** Barcelona can't turn a profit.  Maybe it's time to try being financially sustainable instead.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Chasing after these 'galacticos' whatever the cost is what has caused these clubs with by far the biggest turnovers in football to have bigger debts than Chansiri could rack up even if he stayed here for another couple of decades.

A 'superstar' footballer earning £400,000 per week isn't 10 times better at football than a lesser Premiership footballer earning £40,000 per week. 

He is essentially a little bit better at everything than them, in a way that matters in professional sport, but won't really impact on how much the spectator enjoys watching them play.

Football has tried throwing money at superstars and it has led to the unsustainable situation it finds itself in now where even ******** Barcelona can't turn a profit.  Maybe it's time to try being financially sustainable instead.

Clubs can turn a profit but they allowed themselves to be held hostage to players and agents - it's been reported that Neymar's agent (dad) has "earned" around £100m from the game

That's money that has poured out of the game never to be recycled back in

On top of that Neymar is earning something in the nighbourhood of £40m per season

UEFA/FIFA can legislate against such ridiculous wages and fees - they can do something about agents leeching off the game

Do away with the ridiculous FFP and link salary caps to income - and if an owner wants to sponsor the stadium for silly money then so be it as long as it not charged to the club as debt in any way

It's not going to put the brakes on the very richest clubs being ridiculous but it might make sense for the clubs that don't swim in those waters 

Wages/fees throughout the game are way too high in comparison to income generally

That's what is killing clubs and for the good health of the game needs to be stopped

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ANDY said:

Nice one Carlos but WTF is that photo! Looks like a still from Peaky Blinders.

Though I don't agree it was the fans that stopped the ESL. I think it was when Man. City and Chelsea realised that UEFA were deadly serious about kicking them out of this seasons Champions League and the Premier League going ahead. They got cold feet and once they pulled out it forced the hand of the other English clubs.

40 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Nice one Carlos but WTF is that photo! Looks like a still from Peaky Blinders.

Though I don't agree it was the fans that stopped the ESL. I think it was when Man. City and Chelsea realised that UEFA were deadly serious about kicking them out of this seasons Champions League and the Premier League going ahead. They got cold feet and once they pulled out it forced the hand of the other English clubs.

I think it's from a drama show from a couple of years back about an early FA cup final involving Blackburn vs Old Etonians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, owlinexile said:

I don’t disagree.  Which is why any salary cap only works if it is worldwide.  Because if it isn’t, the same issue pops up again and again in whichever country decides not to implement it anymore.

I’d still like to explore the idea of not allowing owners to load clubs with debt via loans, and making them personally responsible instead.  The owners of these splitters are clearly not fit and proper.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

I think it's from a drama show from a couple of years back about an early FA cup final involving Blackburn vs Old Etonians.

Sure you don't mean Darwen and Old Corinthians?

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Blackburn Olympic won 2–1 after extra time. James Costley and Arthur Matthews scored for Blackburn; Harry Goodhart for Old Etonians. FACT !

Talking about the drama show Nev not reality!

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but the reason why I think the 6 left is because of the players and managers at those clubs not wanting it. If it was just the fans/media/government etc. it would be still going ahead now. Like people said though it only took 1/2 to back out and the rest folded.

A thing I found funny is a guy on Sky Sports News said he got told one of the 6 owners turned up to watch a match once and didn't know what colour his team was playing in and had to ask someone. All this talk about the owners not having a clue about football/fans just reminds me of DC, I wonder what he has thought about it all? Is it just the fans being negative? I'm sure he would have joined if we were one of the clubs. 

I think we do need to punish them because it isn't going away, like the 6 clubs have said themselves it will be revaluated. Maybe a 6-9 point deduction next season and/or not being in the domestic cups along with some big fines? All these apologies make me laugh too.

Leaked footage of the owners:  RfhbAre.gif 

The Liverpool owner video reminded me of this:

I wonder if he wrote it himself? 

14 hours ago, RockieOwl said:

Alaba signing for Real Madrid. Bayern offered him a £13m a year contract which was turned down. That's £250,000 a week for a right back. I wonder why these clubs are in so much debt 

Isn't he a left back? Also he can play CB, in midfield and probably at rb with ease, but I agree with you.

Thats even worse than the ESL

Doesn't surprise

Nothing about the authorities and media reaction has been anything other than they wanted their snouts in the trough instead

Sporting integrity?

Don't make me laugh

• Like 3

Difference with the British Super League is it'll probably have government backing under the belief that it'll appeal and reduce the appetite for independence. But it's effectively the same thing. It'll decimate the Scottish leagues, reducing it to the size of the Irish/welsh leagues. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scram said:

Thats even worse than the ESL

Doesn't surprise

Nothing about the authorities and media reaction has been anything other than they wanted their snouts in the trough instead

Sporting integrity?

Don't make me laugh

Adreed and professional football integrity sounds like a stonewall oxymoron.

11 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

But they have broken the rules. They signed proper contracts to join an alternative ungoverned league (ungoverned by FIFA, UEFA, FA that is). That is a clear breach of the rules. It is also an implicit resignation from the EPL. If they want to, the football authorities could have a field day with this, but doubtless it will just be a slap on the wrist nothing else.

For things to really change, it requires proper and strong government intervention in terms of:

1. Proper involvement of fans both at board level and in terms of club ownership
  2. A mechanism (ironically like they have in the US) to force unscrupulous/incompetent owners to sell
  3. A salary cap determined for each division (max in EPL at 50k per week -  that's 2.6 million per year)
  4. Re-introduction of safe standing
  5. A ceiling set on ticket prices by league to stop pricing fans out of the game
  6. Return of far more games to terrestrial TV
  7. An independent regulatory body directly responsible for oversight
  8. A mechanism to transfer ownership of the clubs to the fans (ultimate aim for fans to have a minimum 51% stake)
  9. A regular review of the game by the independent regulator and fans representative bodies every 5 years
  10. All clubs and their grounds to be classed as entities of cultural and historical significance to give some protection

Any government (or party) that would be prepared to take such steps (even half of them) would be on an absolute winner right now. For that reason I believe it would get total cross party political support so no one party can claim the sole credit for it.

There will never be a better opportunity to force change on the game.

A way has to be found to give the "people's game" back to the people no matter what it takes.

Absolutely bang on Utah. Except for the 51 percent fan ownership. Not sure about the 51per cent fan ownership. How do you see that working?

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They never learn

They waltz straight into the Prem on what grounds? Makes a mockery out of teams like ourselves Forest, Middlesbrough etc who have been trying to get back there.

We stopped the Super League saying it would ruin the domestic leagues etc but then we are willing to ruin someone else's League to take the two biggest clubs from them again for profit.

Imagine the fan violence as well.

Pure hypocrisy, It absolutely stinks.

• Like 2

Florentino Perez really is an odious little turd:

“It cannot be that in England, the six lose money and 14 make money. In Spain the top three lose money, and the others make money. That can’t continue; it is the rich are those who are losing money.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/22/on-standby-defiant-florentino-perez-insists-super-league-is-far-from-dead

• Like 1