A little bit jealous - Page 3 - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

A little bit jealous

On 14/04/2021 at 20:50, Lord Snooty said:

I caught a bit of an interview with the Barnsley CEO Dane Murphy tonight. The American chap.
Crikey, there's a man with a plan.

A well thought out one too, that he's only to keen to share with the club supporters. Total transparency.

He explained their operating model, how it's relative to the size of the club. How it's relative to where the club is in the football pecking order as well as where the club is geographically. 

The importance of knowing the support and the community they come from.

The importance of player turnover whilst still building around a core, of scouting the type of players to fit both the team and the business model. How they didn't want to lose Brown last year but the sale helped them strengthen other areas.

An adopted American but he spoke with a real verve and passion for the club, and made a lot of common sense points about how he's running things.

I admit to feeling rather jealous of Barnsley having this on the ball forward thinking young man involved in their club.

Every so many years Barnsley have a team that does ok based on a few key players that they then sell, as they need the money, but then don't replace and then suffer, as a club for another 3-4yrs accordingly. So at the moment (for me) they are just at pre-sale position and next year entering a relegation battle. 

In comparison we've screwed ourselves by not selling when we should've, not getting promoted when we should've and not sacking/ employing managers at the correct time of season for them to do anything meaningful with the team... Then as a result we've been stuck with players we could/should've sold due to FFP embargos as we couldn't replace them due to the restrictions, which has then snow balled into further FFP rule breaches as they (the players) then left for free due to their contracts ending...  

It's not just Barnsley that I'm envious of, it's pretty much every other club that has any sort of competent owner with a plan and respect for the club they own. We were told as fans that our money pays for nothing. Told that we had to have high ticket prices so we could have top quality players. Given the choice between high prices and low prices loads of fans chose high prices and better players, I was one of the few that chose lower prices and academy products. None of us got what we wanted, like brexit really. 

I want DC to succeed here. I want him to steady us and put plans in place that mean we have a sustainable business that we can all help towards. I want him to make us feel like a family. I want him to respect us as fans and respect the clubs name and long history. I want him to sell players when he can for maximum profit so he doesn't have to pump all the money in himself. I want him to reopen the corporate side of things properly and bring money in that way, reducing his monetary burden. He can then spend his money on further improvements, rather than spending it on going backwards which is what is happening at the moment. Everyone can see what's wrong with the club at the moment except for the one man who needs to. I don't want him out, I want him to be better. 

• Like 1

Well done Baaaaarnsley for getting your house in order.

What's annoying is watching smaller local teams doing the basics right and reaping the rewards.

I will never be jealous of another team, especially a local one. just more embarrassed about how ours is run.

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2021 at 20:57, Spondon Owl said:

Come on snoots. It's depressing enough on here without looking across to Barnsley with envy. 

******** Barnsley. How tin pot are we.

Barnsley ditched the 'footballing playing out' style that saw them only stay in the Championship,cutesy of Wigans demise,for a high press,direct style this season....result? play offs(almost) and possible access to the PL.

Meanwhile we continue with 'playing it out from the back' with some fans commenting how good the football is,despite losing every game,sometimes by multiple goals,and rarely putting the ball in the back of the net ourselves...

This is NOT a dig at DM,but at the fallacy of this type of football being the only way to play...and as the 'pure' football way..

Reasons to be cheerful? (The late Ian Drury..)  NONE....part 3 in his case, apt for us as we head towards Div 3...THREE!!  ffs......AGAIN!!!!  yes capitols and exclamation marks!!!!

What a ridiculous state of affairs for this Club to be in...Lets hope the millionaires on the pitch today,have the decency to go out there and put a 'shift' in for the Gaffer......

• Thanks 1

The thing about it is that it doesn't really have anything to do with football. It's just practical business sense. 

People often say Chansiri doesn't know anything about football as he's a business man. 

He's neither. He's a complete fraud. A beneficiary of family fortune. Clueless in all aspects. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Success for barnsley is being in the championship ,we've  been in it for 16 of the past 20 years and whinged thru just about every one of them ......using  them as a role model is fine if that's the height of our ambition but I doubt it would bring harmony to our fans for us to act as feeder to the top clubs while we wallow in the second tier  .....I personally  like the idea of getting a owner with money who's got the nous to appoint a manager who knows how to spend it .

• Like 1

We'll never really know what DC's strategy was, other the obvious 2-yr throw some cash at it - which failed, but others including Wolves succeeded.

In terms of Barnsley, they always seemed to have operated in this manner, certainly from the 90s - probably through necessity - they have a smaller fan-base, and expectations, but like all-similar sized clubs need to cut their cloth.

Promotion to the PL seems to mess their sustainable plan up - like last time they were they and subsequent administration in 2002.

People were lauding Bournemouth, but like others they end up bringing in half a dozen foreign players and exceeding their wage cost/revenue ratios. If it wasn't for the parachute payments many of these teams would fail.

Having said this, we clearly need to do better with the fan engagement and communication. Just radio silence and more of the same is eroding the interest of our fans.

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Success for barnsley is being in the championship ,we've  been in it for 16 of the past 20 years and whinged thru just about every one of them ......using  them as a role model is fine if that's the height of our ambition but I doubt it would bring harmony to our fans for us to act as feeder to the top clubs while we wallow in the second tier  .....I personally  like the idea of getting a owner with money who's got the nous to appoint a manager who knows how to spend it .

Chansiri has the money he says, he lacks the business nous it seems. Bringing someone in who knows what they're doing would make a massive difference. 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

Football has changed, nearly everyone is a feeder club for someone else these days unless the club is one of the elite. If we get a truly decent player who could play at the top level, he wouldn't be with us for long.

Our best striker last season turned our offer of a new deal down to join Stoke, let that one marinate for a little bit

• Like 1

Just now, Gob_Bluth said:

Football has changed, nearly everyone is a feeder club for someone else these days unless the club is one of the elite. If we get a truly decent player who could play at the top level, he wouldn't be with us for long.

Our best striker last season turned our offer of a new deal down to join Stoke, let that one marinate for a little bit

so you dont think having an owner with money who gets a good manager and lets  him manage is a good idea and we should go down the barnsley route where they sell there best players remain solvent and operate in the 2 divisions below . .......and its not changed the smaller clubs have fed the larger clubs since football got rid of the maximum wage in 1960/61 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

so you dont think having an owner with money who gets a good manager and lets  him manage is a good idea and we should go down the barnsley route where they sell there best players remain solvent and operate in the 2 divisions below

I mean I literally said none of that so you're just making things up from thin air and making out like thats what I wrote.

We're about to get relegated to League One and there are numerous posts in this very thread looking down on Barnsley for having a plan and implementing it, because they're perceived to be a smaller club and more "tinpot" than we are.

It's quite frankly bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Hornsby
3 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Chansiri has the money he says, he lacks the business nous it seems. Bringing someone in who knows what they're doing would make a massive difference. 

Why borrow from a vulture fund if you have money?

18 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

Every so many years Barnsley have a team that does ok based on a few key players that they then sell, as they need the money, but then don't replace and then suffer, as a club for another 3-4yrs accordingly. So at the moment (for me) they are just at pre-sale position and next year entering a relegation battle. 

Upon promotion from league one in 2019 we sold that squad for over £10M and brought in 16 new players that summer, this is the squad we have now, most of them have 2 and 3 years left on their contracts with us(so we don’t need to sell any of them this summer) we upgraded on what we had. Our recruitment team are the muts nuts, they continually replace players with better ones, same with head coaches, all of our last 3 have achieved their targets and each one as been an upgrade on the previous, we’re a totally different animal under these owners. Last summer we only made one significant sale (Jacob Brown) we used that money to sign Dike & Morris in January the former being a loan(with a fee agreed) admittedly, but Brown wouldn’t get our team in front of them two. 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 20:13, DlNGLE said:

Upon promotion from league one in 2019 we sold that squad for over £10M and brought in 16 new players that summer, this is the squad we have now, most of them have 2 and 3 years left on their contracts with us(so we don’t need to sell any of them this summer) we upgraded on what we had. Our recruitment team are the muts nuts, they continually replace players with better ones, same with head coaches, all of our last 3 have achieved their targets and each one as been an upgrade on the previous, we’re a totally different animal under these owners. Last summer we only made one significant sale (Jacob Brown) we used that money to sign Dike & Morris in January the former being a loan(with a fee agreed) admittedly, but Brown wouldn’t get our team in front of them two. 

I hope that Barnsley have continued success and (unlike us) sell/ buy to build their team accordingly.

However being a Wednesday fan (so pessimistic) I think that even with a good business plan in place (like Barnsley now seem to have) that the difference between success/ failure in football is such a fine line.

There are just so many factors involved with the success of a football club from Manager issues (with club/ players), bad tactics, Player Moral/ issues with manager/ players, bad decisions by the officials that cost points, key players missing (through injury/ discipline), then key players sold (or stay wanting to leave) and then stupid mistakes by players in crucial games etc.

I’m just saying that things can change very quickly in football...

On 17/04/2021 at 01:12, horny owl said:

Barnsley are too tinpot to compare to Wednesday 

But until chansiri sells up we’re going one way and that’s down

As insignificant as Barnsley are I’d happily swap owners with them today

Define tin pot, because right now they are closer to the EPL than we are likely to be anytime in the next decade.

They have been in the EPL before and can do it again, however we have  now been out of the top flight for 21 years. How tin pot is that?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

With the financial rules that are (in my view unfairly) placed on clubs now. All clubs outside the top division need to adopt a strategy that makes the most of the academy and the second and third tiers of leagues across Europe. Buy young and cheap with the prospect of taking money in. If that money allows a club to recruit more aggressively then that’s great but my concern is that it’s all to balance FFP books whilst the clubs above pick the players they wanted. Shackling the bigger clubs at this level and getting u23 players into this league via stealth to simply buy back and give the feeder club a pat on the head.

If all clubs adopted the barnsley, PNE, swansea, Brentford, Peterborough, Coventry approach (its common beyond Barnsley...) then at this level it would still be about who gets the most income and has the most cash with the bigger clubs having an advantage. In my view at least.

On 20/04/2021 at 23:26, Tollertonowl said:

I hope that Barnsley have continued success and (unlike us) sell/ buy to build their team accordingly.

However being a Wednesday fan (so pessimistic) I think that even with a good business plan in place (like Barnsley now seem to have) that the difference between success/ failure in football is such a fine line.

There are just so many factors involved with the success of a football club from Manager issues (with club/ players), bad tactics, Player Moral/ issues with manager/ players, bad decisions by the officials that cost points, key players missing (through injury/ discipline), then key players sold (or stay wanting to leave) and then stupid mistakes by players in crucial games etc.

I’m just saying that things can change very quickly in football...

A year on, this post looks quite prophetic.

I don't really know enough about Barnsley's 'plan' that many on here have commented on in the past, but is this relegation a big problem for them, or is it more an accepted part of the bigger picture over there?

If any of our resident Barnsley fans are reading - first of all, commiserations on the relegation. But if you feel like sharing your take on it with us at some point, it would be interesting to read.