The 'Best Player Ever' - Page 2 - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

The 'Best Player Ever'

In my lifetime, Messi.  I didn’t see enough of Brazilian Ronaldo to compare, by the time I had Sky tv he was on his way out.

I’ve said it before and been ridiculed for it but I stand by it - Cristiano Ronaldo won’t go down as a great in my house as his first thought isn’t “how can I win this game?” it’s “how can I cheat to win this game?”  If he had received the punishment his cheating deserved, he would have more yellow cards than goals.  I don’t think cheating should be celebrated.

For someone of my age it is difficult to differentiate between Pele and the the more recent players.

Pele  , we only used to see footage of every couple of years for that magical Brazil team , these days we can watch the likes of Messi almost on a weekly basis.

But if pushed , my top 5 in order ,

Maradonna

Pele

Messi

Cruyff

C. Ronaldo

Great thread. Really interesting to see others opinions.

For me the highest level I’ve seen players reach are maradonna, Brazilian Ronaldo, Maldini, and Messi. Pretty much impossible to separate them in my head as different positions, eras etc, but my favourite to watch was always R9.

The longevity of CR9 and Messi can’t be ignored though. So if I was to pick a ‘greatest’ id have one of those two, with Messi shading it on raw talent.

Pele is too far back for me, but my dad always said he, Eusebio and Yashin were the best he ever watched.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

The longevity of CR7 and Messi is one thing, but I just can’t accept they have anything close to the natural talent Maradona had.

I genuinely believe he was handpicked by god.

Should probably rephrase that. They do have incredible natural talent, but they’re not Maradona.

pele played in an era where players got very little protection from the refs , pitches wernt the bowling greens they are now , the ball and boots stand no comparison to today ,i very much doubt ronaldo  and co would  be pinging in dipping 30 yard free kicks kicking the leather footballs of the 50?60s .......players like pele,di stefano,puskas would be be right up there with the greats of the game if they were playing in the modern game .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, torryowl said:

pele played in an era where players got very little protection from the refs , pitches wernt the bowling greens they are now , the ball and boots stand no comparison to today ,i very much doubt ronaldo  and co would  be pinging in dipping 30 yard free kicks kicking the leather footballs of the 50?60s .......players like pele,di stefano,puskas would be be right up there with the greats of the game if they were playing in the modern game .

Think it's a legitimate point about pitches and equipment. Watched a clip of George Best on a quagmire getting belted from all angles just drift along like he had magnets on his feet.

Anybody put Best up there?

• Love 1

6 hours ago, boxing_day said:

Great thread. Really interesting to see others opinions.

For me the highest level I’ve seen players reach are maradonna, Brazilian Ronaldo, Maldini, and Messi. Pretty much impossible to separate them in my head as different positions, eras etc, but my favourite to watch was always R9.

The longevity of CR9 and Messi can’t be ignored though. So if I was to pick a ‘greatest’ id have one of those two, with Messi shading it on raw talent.

Pele is too far back for me, but my dad always said he, Eusebio and Yashin were the best he ever watched.

Yashin has always interested me. He looked like an ordinary bloke but has been called the best ever by loads of people.

Keepers, as always, are more difficult for me. For example, Victor Valdez won almost everything with Barca and Spain, but I've got no idea if he was any good. Whereas somebody like Pressman or Kelly were at teams who got peppered with shots and let loads in, but were really good keepers (not best ever btw!).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Anybody put Best up there?

Certainly one of the best I've seen but was more or less finished as  a great player due to his life style by his mid 20s  which probably rules him out in best ever category  .playing  for no hopers like Ireland wouldnt have helped his cause  

The greatest player to ever grace a game of football. All this in 7 matches, within summer heat at a ridiculously high altitude. 

An artist, a genius, an animal. The way he just charges into the defensive line, a warrior. 

no one comes close, nobody. 

24 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The greatest player to ever grace a game of football. All this in 7 matches, within summer heat at a ridiculously high altitude. 

An artist, a genius, an animal. The way he just charges into the defensive line, a warrior. 

no one comes close, nobody. 

I see your legend and I raise you this legend.

7 time Serie A Champion, 5 time Champions League winner and won a Balloon d'Or as a flipping centre back.

That Milan defence was unreal, and the kit makes my nipples hard.