Pulis vs Moore - Page 2 - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Pulis vs Moore

4 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

He did alright out of it though didn’t he? Doubt he’s shedding many tears.

Totally agree there 

Can't help thinking that no way TP would have come here without being told funds would be available in January.

When he realised the funds weren't available that was his excuse to bale out IMO..

• Like 2

But but but Pulis is a dinosaur with promotions and many years top flight experience and Moore is an exciting young up and coming coach with no sustained track record of success.

The fact that their records are near enough identical in their first few games at S6 tells you both were / are hamstrung with the same issues:

1. P**s poor first team squad

2. Batschizz crazy owner

Its been done to death on here many times before but until both those things change then nobody is going to achieve owt at Wednesday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Neither Pulis nor Moore had the chance to bring in their own players so could only work with the tools (literally!) that they were given.

Chansiri and Monk's awful recruitment has cost us. We should have got rid of Monk after Brentford last year - if we'd brought Pulis in then I don't think we'd be in this mess now. His style of football was awful but he'd have had a big man in Nuhiu to suit it, possibly got a few more games out of Fletcher, and with a better end to the season the 12 point deduction could have been applied last year instead of this, resulting in being able to attract better players in the summer instead of scraping the barrel for ones that nobody else wanted who were desperate enough to join a club starting on -12.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I hated Pulis before, during and after his appointment so appreciate I'm biased. 

Slightly different circumstances though, we were within touching distance of safety when Pulis took over with plenty of the season left, on the back of a couple of good results and the halving of the points deduction. Moore took over at the arse end of the season, which many acknowledged was a big task and unlikely to have time to make any impact.

Notwithstanding my bias,  I'm moderately optimistic about Moore and enjoyed watching some games since he took over, something I never did with Pulis.

• Like 2

Guest Andy W
43 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

The common denominator is they both had to work with the same bag o shyte players.

Goodness they are a shocking bunch aren't they? Collectively as poor as I can remember

6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Neither Pulis nor Moore had the chance to bring in their own players so could only work with the tools (literally!) that they were given.

Chansiri and Monk's awful recruitment has cost us. We should have got rid of Monk after Brentford last year - if we'd brought Pulis in then I don't think we'd be in this mess now. His style of football was awful but he'd have had a big man in Nuhiu to suit it, possibly got a few more games out of Fletcher, and with a better end to the season the 12 point deduction could have been applied last year instead of this, resulting in being able to attract better players in the summer instead of scraping the barrel for ones that nobody else wanted who were desperate enough to join a club starting on -12.

Its a good job Pulis didnt have a chance to bring in any of his own players in January, the last thing this squad needs is another 6 centre backs. 

Nuhiu doesnt suit long ball football either hes a big guy but is much better with the ball to his feet rather than Tim Lees lumping it up to his head.  

• Like 1

We scored 6 goals in 10 games under Pulis and have scored 11 in 9 under Moore

The wins over Barnsley and Cardiff have helped the perception of Moore as Pulis only win came over Coventry.

It's clearer to see why Moore gets an easier ride. 

The appointment of Pulis completely split the fanbase, as up until the time we appointed him - we had a decent defensive record, we didn't need a defensive manager, we needed someone to keep the status quo at the back but add something to the front line.

• Like 1

I don’t understand the speed with which some people are now queuing up to have a pop at Moore.  The least he deserves is a pre season with the chance to sign his own players or promote from within.  Of course we’ll never know, but I believe our chances of survival would have improved if we had given the job to Moore before Pulis took over.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

The points deduction and recruitment before the season started was the reason we are where we are!

That, and the fact that we've missed paying players on occasions, and the players not having contracts sorted sooner is every reason for relegation....Darren Moore was foolish for thinking he could make things better at this late stage, but he's not too blame.

• Like 2

Pretty sure he’s on his way to a sacking. Don’t want him to be, but as per the OP you can’t hide from the results. DC isn’t the kind of bloke to take mitigating circumstances into consideration (like the team being rubbish). 
Trouble is if we sack the bloke we’ve got to replace him. DM looks like a bloke who is better at building a team than getting a bunch of players who are not much good to start performing (which is supposed to be Pulis’s specialty). I’d like DC to give him next year but he probably won’t. Dread to think who will be here next. 

"This is a big job. There's lots to be done. It's going to take time. We need to freshen things up. The core have been here 3 or 4 years. They're 3 or 4 years older. It's going to take time. Ideally there's five or six you'd like to get in. It will probably take 3 or 4 windows."

Steve Bruce -

• Like 8

Guest Derby owl
1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Tony Pulis 10 games in charge

7 points out of a possible 30. 1 win in 10. 4 draws. 5 defeats.

Darren Moore 9 games in charge so far

7 points out of a possible 27. 2 wins. 1 draw. 6 defeats.

If we lose on Saturday Moore and Pulis have an identical record in there first 10 games in charge. One was absolutely crucified on here and on social media. The other seems to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Football might be slightly better under Moore but results are largely the same? Personally don’t give a crap how we play as long as we pick up points. For me a

1-0 defeat to Preston is no different to a 4-1 defeat to QPR.

Moore has had a shocking start to his Wednesday career.

I think pulis tried to defend  every game in the hope we would get enough points to be safe!

DM seems to want to play attractive football but the players are letting him down to get to that survival safe position. 

Fact of the matter is we should fighting for every win regardless how crap the football is just to stay in the championship. 

Guest Kameron
56 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

We’ve won 2 games under Moore haven’t we? Barnsley & Cardiff 

Moore can't take credit for the Cardiff win as he was at home.

You can at least see some improvements in how we are trying to create an identity under Moore. For the first 20-25 mins yesterday some of the football was excellent, quite enjoyable to watch in fact. 

Moore is the only manager since Carlos that has actually got us playing some attractive passages of play, first manager where you can say, okay I can see what they are doing here.

Hated Jos, Monk and Pulis but at least under Moore he has us playing some okay football, which gives you faith with a pre season and more time with his own group in the longer term things might improve.

The difference in style under Moore and Pulis is clear, despite as you say the points not essentially showing this.

I do believe if Moore had been in charge for majority of the season and we played like we have been in certain games, we don't lose some of the awful games vs our close opponents that we did under the managers before him.

I am personally warming to Moore and first time I can say that since we had Bruce.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Apart from the 5-0 freak result. Is the play that much better?

It’s just as disappointing when we lose under Moore than it is under Pulis. Haven’t seen anything from Moore which makes me think we’re heading in the right direction. 

I do think the general play is better, yes. Not by a lot, probably 20%, but there is a clear intention of actually trying to play football which wasn’t there before. It’s just come far too late, the players have been long broken.