Pulis vs Moore - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Pulis vs Moore

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Tony Pulis 10 games in charge

7 points out of a possible 30. 1 win in 10. 4 draws. 5 defeats.

Darren Moore 9 games in charge so far

7 points out of a possible 27. 2 wins. 1 draw. 6 defeats.

If we lose on Saturday Moore and Pulis have an identical record in there first 10 games in charge. One was absolutely crucified on here and on social media. The other seems to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Football might be slightly better under Moore but results are largely the same? Personally don’t give a crap how we play as long as we pick up points. For me a

1-0 defeat to Preston is no different to a 4-1 defeat to QPR.

Moore has had a shocking start to his Wednesday career.

The common denominator is they both had to work with the same bag o shyte players.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Manwë said:

I think the expectation on Pulis is/was higher.  He was hired, in the fans' view, for a single purpose; to win games, get points and ultimately save us from relegation in the short-term.  Complete utter failure at that task.  He chewed gum, waved his arms around, called spades spades etc and that plays well to the dinosaur fans we seem to have a fair proportion of.

I honestly still don't know what the expectations of Moore are.  Of course, I believe staying up was a Chansiri priority when hired, but I think a sizeable portion of fans didn't think it was possible.  Moore is probably seen as a long-term manager for a rebuild  and therefore judged differently and on a different timescale.

I don't know what to make of him yet, and I just hope he survives to next season with some backing in the summer.

But surely they should be judged on results? A season is 46 games long. You can’t just decide which month is most important - surely all games should be played with the same intensity and the aim to pick up points?

Both have very similar records in their first 9/10 games. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think Pulis and Moore joined the club in very difficult circumstances.

Slightly inevitable that results were not very good.

Think Pulis is a bit of a Marmite character especially with the players.

I like his methods of not mollycoddling the players and being a bit of a bully but the days of those type of managers are probably gone now.

Moore seems a more likeable bloke and seen as better in the long term than Pulis.

Think 10 games is far tooo short to judge a manager. You probably need a season at least.

• Like 1

Yep as people have posted the players are cr*p.  

Bowyer had a much better squad to work with when he took over at Brum.

The fact Moore is trying to get us playing football bodes better for next season and hopefully the recruitment in the summer. Tho frankly I don’t trust Chansiri to get anything right anymore 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I think all that tells you is that the players are dross and nobody is capable of turning it around with this group 

I think why people are less critical of Moore is that the general play is better, he’s a positive bloke and is only young and will presumably get better in his managerial career 

Pulis is a relic whose ideas are outdated and probably isn’t the nicest bloke to work under 

There’s also the notion that Pulis had these players earlier on in the season with more to play for.

For me we were relegated before Moore joined and I think the players had accepted it already 

Apart from the 5-0 freak result. Is the play that much better?

It’s just as disappointing when we lose under Moore than it is under Pulis. Haven’t seen anything from Moore which makes me think we’re heading in the right direction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we lose on Saturday Moore and Pulis have an identical record in there first 10 games in charge. One was absolutely crucified on here and on social media. The other seems to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Football might be slightly better under Moore but results are largely the same? Personally don’t give a crap how we play as long as we pick up points. For me a

The football isnt 'better' mate....there is little point to pass pass pass if you lose.....i wouldn't pay to watch such,and anyone who thinks differently, obviously doesn't watch much PL football.Cos its full of long ball.....YES theres passing around as well...(obviously!) skill level is much higher, but the notion of passing everywhere is not based on the English game at all.

PHILOSOPHY  was brought in by a glut of foreign coaches,many used to playing in much hotter climates where  the ball play had to be slower..

Somehow its now become 'football' and everything else 'hoofball' 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

The football isnt 'better' mate....there is little point to pass pass pass if you lose.....i wouldn't pay to watch such,and anyone who thinks differently, obviously doesn't watch much PL football.Cos its full of long ball.....YES theres passing around as well...(obviously!) skill level is much higher, but the notion of passing everywhere is not based on the English game at all.

PHILOSOPHY  was brought in by a glut of foreign coaches,many used to playing in much hotter climates where  the ball play had to be slower..

Somehow its now become 'football' and everything else 'hoofball' 

I enjoyed the 5-0 victory. But the following two results suggest that was very much an anomaly. We might pass it around a bit more but we’re still losing games and look dead and buried after we go a goal down.

Is it really that much better than Pulis?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

But surely they should be judged on results? A season is 46 games long. You can’t just decide which month is most important - surely all games should be played with the same intensity and the aim to pick up points?

The players have had the same record for a mumber of seasons. They are to blame not the manager in this case. I'm sick of them all.

I'm prepared to give DM time to ship out the shyte and build his own team.

If he's not allowed to I hope he walks away, refuses to sign an NDA and makes a public scene about his reasons.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He lost his final five games as Donny boss as well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hmm, I'm more of a long-term kinda thinker so I don't judge short-term results as a norm  However, for Pulis, the entire purpose of his hiring was for that short-termism, whereas Moore is more of a long-term appointment (perhaps).

Pulis is a seasoned pro, with years of experience of digging unfashionable clubs out of holes using grit and determination.  Moore is fresher, and has no experience in such circumstances.  He took over a good WBA side, and had them 4th, and Donny finished 6th IIRC before Moore took over.   He took over Wednesday who were in a relegation hotspot, with players who are clearly not good enough.

Pulis was poo compared to the expectations, and Moore is showing he's struggling just as much with what he has to work with.  The difference is, I didn't expect Moore to do any better than Pulis, but I certainly hoped he would.  It all comes to expectation management.   

If you want to judge X Vs Y, then yes, they're both nearly and possibly equally as poo as each other.  

• Like 2