Squad for L1 next Season - Page 2 - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Squad for L1 next Season

All we can ask is XI going out & giving their all for the shirt.

At least DM knows the division, which helps. No point signing fannies like Reach for a season's graft in L1.

Decent keeper, a couple of stoppers at the back. A grafter & a ball player in midfield, a proper striker, at that level.

Just add a few young uns with pace around this spine. None of that playing out around our box rounduns.

Different world L1. It's like death by a thousand cuts at the moment. Wake me up when it's August ffs.

• Like 2

Keep urhoghide, id give Hunt, Brennan and Waldock a year. 

I'd be tempted to give Harris another 12 months. He's been overplayed, but if we get a decent player in to rotate him with I see a threat there for us

Rest can go. 

Hopefully alongside the GKs, and another couple of em

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, brando said:

He will go for a million imo

Agree, to be fair it feels as though he's signed a contract on the basis that it works for us as well in that it gets us some money if we go down. Not all one sided for a change. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Keep urhoghide, id give Hunt, Brennan and Waldock a year. 

I'd be tempted to give Harris another 12 months. He's been overplayed, but if we get a decent player in to rotate him with I see a threat there for us

Rest can go. 

Hopefully alongside the GKs, and another couple of em

I'd offer Harris a new deal on reduced terms obviously. I think he would be very good to have in League 1.

Pelupessy should have been released last year and replaced. If he gets another contract I give up.

• Like 3

The problem isn't that we have a lot of our players leaving, this squad hasn't worked and we do need wholesale changes. 

The issue is, will Darren Moore be given a budget and be told to buy players that fit his system? 

Or will he be given lists of players to choose from that he has no interest in whatsoever, the same kind of transfer business that saw us start the season with 1 centre forward (Rhodes) that everyone knew the Manager (Monk) wouldn't play. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

Heard that some will try to stay in the Championship with other clubs. How does that work? Knowing our luck they'll set the league alight when they all leave for other Championship clubs. 

Lees and Reach will find takers, especially on a free. 

I wouldn't be surprised if KW, and even Marriott get takers at this level too. JP will head back home I imagine, same with Borner

• Like 1

Just now, fudge27 said:

Lees and Reach will find takers, especially on a free. 

I wouldn't be surprised if KW, and even Marriott get takers at this level too. JP will head back home I imagine, same with Borner

Oh and Rhodes will get a taker at this level I'd imagine

• Like 2

We talked of getting rid of the deadwood this time last season..... Then we bought more deadwood........ Darren Moore apparently likes getting in players who have lost their way........... Very worrying. That's what we did last summer! The Whole club needs change not just playing staff...... Until that we will bring in mixture of failures and loans next season.... I love when we play good football under Moore but I'm worried he's the type who sets up for plan A and everything is aimed at that..... This can work with the right management AND recruitment..... Without the latter I think we will drift in mid to lose mid table under Moore in league 1. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing will be who are strikers are next season. We can't afford to be in league 1 but all league s are governed by who scores the most goals! Will we drift through end of season until the end of the window..... That's if we can get out of the embargo! Under Chansiri for the last 18 months especially we've been like an old cruise ship listing rudderless in darkness leaderless drifting towards a huge waterfall..... And now we are going over the edge.................... When will someone take control and get the light back on and the engine running..... Right now the scary thing is can any of us see that happening any time soon..............

I think the plan is to get rid of most out of contract. We’ve got Urhoghide, Reach & Lees outstanding - being honest I hope the latter 2 don’t sign and it’s just urhoghide staying

Havent heard of new contracts for any of the others - good. 

If Harris, Reach, Lees, Hutchinson and Westwood sign new contracts 

Then I'm done with this club 

Not one of them deserves another penny from this club 

Absolute joke of professional footballers

New Keeper

Hutchinson, Iorfa and Urgohide as the back three first choice options. Still have Borner in contract and Dunkley too. Hutch better than both. 

RWB - New

LWB - NEW

CM Luongo, Bannan and NEW or FDB/Patterson

CF Windass

CF NEW

Need at least 5 players for the starting 11 if we keep hold of Bannan, Luongo, Iorfa and offer Hutch a new deal.

Would keep Windass for League 1, he will be a real threat at that level and aim to sign a decent mobile target man to play alongside him.

If we could keep Westwood as player coach and 2nd choice to a younger keeper on a salary that works for us all, it should be done. He is the best keeper we have seen at this club in his prime and what better mentor could a new keeper have then a Westwood who knows he is no longer able to command 1st choice spot but can pass his experience and leadership skills on and be there if needed.

Would release Lees, Reach, Palmer, Rhodes and anyone else. The four mentioned, the time has come for them to leave, the four of them have become the face of SWFC failure.

Hutchinson at the right wage is a no brainer despite the flack I may get for suggesting this. He is 10x the player Dunkley or Borner are and played at CB for the duration of a season he won't get as many niggles imo. I would go as far as to say he should be captain. He is a leader and would offer a great backbone with the pace of Iorfa and Urgohide next to him, with him sweeping.

Have a feeling we will keep Bannan and Luongo will stay as who will take a chance with his recent injuries.

Sign the right players around the above and let Moore have the final say and it could be worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We need core of our team to be make up of talented, young players that will see joining Wednesday as ambitious move in their career.

We don't need team of players who got promoted from League One 2 or 3 years ago and did fu"k all since, looking for one last big contract. That is how we planned to get to The Premier League and look how well that worked out.

• Like 1