Ticket prices and average attendance next season - Sheffield Wednesday Matchday - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

Ticket prices and average attendance next season

If/when we go down to league 1,  what will happen to ST / pay on the gate prices ?  

I can’t see an average home gate of over 10-12K  if prices stay as they are or increase (surely not)  I reckon plenty have already fell out of the routine of going sadly since Covid happened.  

what will DC do ?   Spanner in the work is fans still have multi year STs after a threat that prices could go up significantly  if we got promoted. (Even though TV money would have meant ticket revenue wasn’t as crucial in the Premiership.   

surely DC isn’t going to expect attendance figures to remain or increase at current pricing.

Edited by rawowl
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Although gates will no doubt drop I can’t see them falling to 10-12k unless there is some organised boycott.

It felt wrong typing that figure.  I hope I am wrong.  I remember when we beat Leicester on sky to go top of the prem in 95/96 season.  I think we had 18K there that night.  

I really do think there would be a huge drop especially if we didn’t recruit well in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rawowl said:

It felt wrong typing that figure.  I hope I am wrong.  I remember when we beat Leicester on sky to go top of the prem in 95/96 season.  I think we had 18K there that night.  

I really do think there would be a huge drop especially if we didn’t recruit well in the summer.

96/97 season 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DC really does have a dilemma, he needs to reduce the POTG to 1st Div levels, but he may not have the cash to refund multi year season tickets. I think he should take a hit and partially refund multi season ticket holders.

I can envisage law suits if he has a lower POTG prices than current season ticket prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Although gates will no doubt drop I can’t see them falling to 10-12k unless there is some organised boycott.

Which in my opinion there should be but being Sheffield Wednesday it won't happen.

Our fans must be the most patient fanbase in the country.

4 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Given the number of folk on here who have said things like:

"thats me done until DC's gone"

"Chansiri's not having another penny of mine"

I think that 10-12 K next season is a fair guess.

Dependent of course on which league we are playing in, how we are doing and if the crazy ticket price policy continues.

I think it will be a bit higher, 13 - 15,000 if we have a poor season, 15 -18,000 if we have a decent one [around the play offs most of the season]

• Like 2

This coming season isn't the problem as we had ST holders for 20/21 that will just role there ST over, I would imagine, as opposed to waiting for a refund. 

I'm not sure how many ST we'd sold for 20/21 but previous years figures were near 20k, even if we had a drop off it won't be less than 15/16? 

• Thanks 1

Obviously the speculation is all dependent on crowds even being let in to stadiums without any limits. 
Assuming we are allowed in the numbers will be based in part by pricing but the main driver will be how well we are doing. I’m guessing around 12,000 season ticket holders, so if we are (as I suspect) around mid table we might average 15,000 or so. If we are doing really well and playing good football plus maybe the club does half year season tickets we could get 20,000+. 

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
10 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Obviously the speculation is all dependent on crowds even being let in to stadiums without any limits. 
Assuming we are allowed in the numbers will be based in part by pricing but the main driver will be how well we are doing. I’m guessing around 12,000 season ticket holders, so if we are (as I suspect) around mid table we might average 15,000 or so. If we are doing really well and playing good football plus maybe the club does half year season tickets we could get 20,000+. 

No chance of regular 20,000+ crowds next season..imo

Things can turn faster than a glass of milk on a hot summers day.

The internal variables are multifarious. External variables are likely to have far more of an impact, which are in the main dependent on our position in the league structure. 

A less competitive squad in the Championship would offer a better financial position than a winning side in  EFL L1.

So for me it's fingers crossed for avoiding the drop ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

I think they might drop to that level for an unattractive mid week fixture if we are struggling.

Have it in my mind we will get about 18,000 Saturday games and 15,000 midweek on average.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

DC really does have a dilemma, he needs to reduce the POTG to 1st Div levels, but he may not have the cash to refund multi year season tickets. I think he should take a hit and partially refund multi season ticket holders.

I can envisage law suits if he has a lower POTG prices than current season ticket prices.

Without sounding like are backside hole, surely that was a gamble that those people took?

They would have been better off if we went up, where as people that didn’t take that gamble would have been worse off. And vice versa, those that didn’t think the gamble was worth it are better off financially going down. 

can’t be many people that thought we were likely to go up 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Given the number of folk on here who have said things like:

"thats me done until DC's gone"

"Chansiri's not having another penny of mine"

I think that 10-12 K next season is a fair guess.

Dependent of course on which league we are playing in, how we are doing and if the crazy ticket price policy continues.

I said those things too and meant them, promised myself I wouldn't give him my ifollow money, but every now and again I get suckered back in by a combination of sheer boredom and brief flickers of hope. I have very low will power at times.

Much though I think Chansiri needs the shock of an organised boycott to get the message, the reality is that whichever league were in (L1 probably) if the team starts winning games, fans will return. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

I think you are right.

Just checked on the 2011/12 season when we averaged 21,336.

We finished second that season, highest ever point total, added interest of slugging it out with Sheff U.

Chances are much less successful next season, higher prices and general discontent about the club.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Probably not but if prices are low and results are good there is a chance. Neither if those will come to pass though so we will probably bump around mid table in front of c13k bored fans cursing how much they paid for the privilege.