England men's fixtures omdt. - Page 205 - General Football Chat - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

England men's fixtures omdt.

5 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

It would be a mistake not to play Foden and one Southgate surely won't make. Yes he wasn't clinical or as good as he can be in this round of fixtures but his technique, passing and movement all over the midfield and wide areas is superior to the likes of Bowen. He can really move the opposition around and scare them. He links up well with Bellingham and with Kane uptop the whole team is more productive. 

I agree with this 👆 

I think any team that plays us would rather we picked Bowen, Rashford, etc over Foden. For me he's the third name on the team sheet after Harry and Jude. 

Big fan of Bowen, he's quick, skilful and an absolute workhorse. However, Foden is one of the best footballers on the planet right now. You can also see how much Bellingham enjoys playing with him, some of their intricate link play was tremendous last night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

The problem with Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard was that they more or less played the same role so Scholes usually got shoved out of position. Surely it can’t be beyond Southgate to get Foden, Saka, Rice, Kane, Bellingham and even Mainoo into the starting line up (Southgate might think it’s early for Mainoo but I’d like to see him go) Bowen is a very good Premier League player but he could even get left out of the squad we’re that blessed up top. I’d take him before Gallagher although Gordon and especially Palmer could be in with a shout. I don’t understand why Palmer didn’t get a run out. 

Going to take this off topic and refer back to that "Golden Generation"...

Scholes, Gerrard & Lampard suffered from the 4-4-2 set up. Thing is if we went with something akin to what we have now I still wouldn't have all 3 in the same team (one of Hargreaves / Carrick / Barry with Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard further forward as a 10). We would have then had the issues of Beckham being able to get in the side as a wide forward? Could Owen play up top by himself?

Such a shame, those players had the potential if utilised correctly.

4 hours ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

Something I've noticed. England's group games are all in the Rhineland and then Stuttgart. If we go as expected, we will continue to play in the Rhineland before the final in Berlin.

Yet, our training base is near Leipzig in the East of Germany. Isn't that a lot of pointless travel?

Fairly short plane journey with a one night hotel stay before the game I'd have thought, unless they fly out on the morning of the game.

We had to go to Rome for the quarter final in 2021, and there was a lot more travelling involved at Russia 2018.  2026 will be even worse, even the "regionalised" venues can be 1000+ miles apart, e.g. LA to Vancouver, Mexico City to Kansas, Miami to Toronto..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

Going to take this off topic and refer back to that "Golden Generation"...

Scholes, Gerrard & Lampard suffered from the 4-4-2 set up. Thing is if we went with something akin to what we have now I still wouldn't have all 3 in the same team (one of Hargreaves / Carrick / Barry with Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard further forward as a 10). We would have then had the issues of Beckham being able to get in the side as a wide forward? Could Owen play up top by himself?

Such a shame, those players had the potential if utilised correctly.

The golden generation was crying out for 3 - 5 - 2 , yet despite all the money paid out to managers not one of them sussed it.......something like ;

Seaman

King  Campbell  Ferdinand

G.Neville  Gerrard  Beckham  Scholes  A.Cole

Owen  Rooney

SUBS

Dyer

Terry

Carragher

Bridge

Hargreaves

Lampard

J. Cole