A To Z Of Football Grounds ( Past And Present ) - Page 45 - Sheffield Wednesday Quizzes - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

A To Z Of Football Grounds ( Past And Present )

Lower Mead - Wealdstone to 1991.

Nostalgia corner for me; I lived about a mile from the ground for five years to 1980 and used to go and watch them frequently. They were mostly in the old Southern League but were founder members of the Alliance Premier which is now the National League. They also had a very young full back, a chippie called Stuart Pearce though the star man was George Duck. A remarkable striker who scored over 250 goals for them and I must have seen a pretty fair number. They are still very much my number two non-league team. 

Lower.jpg

lower2.jpg

george.jpg

New Writtle Street - Chelmsford City 1939 to 1997.

More nostalgia corner for me. Moving to Chelmsford in 1985 I immediately started watching City games and this was their home at the time. The black and white pic shows it as it was back then with covered terracing, affectionately known as The Barn, down one side of the pitch and the small cover over the Wolseley end goal that was absolutely electric for Monday night matches as the roof was so low. The Barn was partially destroyed in the infamous storm in October 1987 and had to be removed entirely leading to the second pic which shows the bare patch of land where it had been on the right. The pic also shows the initial work that was done in turning the ground round by 90 degrees and using the land between it and the cricket ground for a hotel complex which never materialised. And the third pic shows the view from the Wolseley end towards the main stand with the end itself shown in the fourth.

Some great memories!

nws.jpg

NWS2.jpg

1989.jpg

EZNKuJEWsAYayNP.jpg

• Like 1