South America - 5 month trip - Travel and Holidays - Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans Jump to content

South America - 5 month trip

Hola,

Looking to land in Columbia around this time next year to spend approx. 5 months traveling through South America. Unsure on the route as of yet, going to base it around the best time to do Machu Picchu.

5 Months isn't the longest of time so at the moment I'm sacrificing Venezuela and Paraguay. Also wanted to spend limited time in Brazil (a few weeks tops) as I'm learning Spanish and want to talk as much Spanish as possible while I'm there.

We want a fair bit of flexibility so don't really want to just book onto a tour, a jump on jump off coach company would be pretty ideal.

Any experiences, tips on planning, what to do and what not to do is very welcome.

Looking (hopefully) at taking about 6k for the trip.

All I know Is the trip will end in Mexico as I have family there so we can chill out for a week or two and reflect on the craziness of the previous few months.

Thanks!

Colombia is fantastic - though it's getting on for a decade since I was last there.  By all accounts it's getting safer all the time, but still use common sense.

That trip, I spent a month going across the top of South America from Bogota to Cayenne via Trinidad, Guyana, and Suriname.  Should have spent time in Venezuela too, but Chavez closed the border with Colombia and it looked like they were going to war for a bit.

Made other trips too.  A few to Brazil, and others to Argentina, & Uruguay.

It's a great continent.  Beautiful scenery and loads of history.  People are fantastic too.  So friendly.

The owls are not what they seem.

Just returned from a Central America, Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Guatemala trip. Are you going anywhere near those countries ?

Also took in Panama, loved it and Cartagena Colombia. As Neal says Colombia felt pretty safe and I would definitely do a longer stay. People and food were fantastic.

6 hours ago, Señor Sam said:

Just returned from a Central America, Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Guatemala trip. Are you going anywhere near those countries ?

Also took in Panama, loved it and Cartagena Colombia. As Neal says Colombia felt pretty safe and I would definitely do a longer stay. People and food were fantastic.

Echo this. Cartagena felt remarkably safe.

Medellin definitely had a lot more edge, but still never felt any real danger. flipping loved Medellin tbh. 

On 2/15/2018 at 22:40, Sam779 said:

Been on a couple of 6 month trips to South America.  I really wouldn’t advise it and really don’t want to do it again.

Stop boosting the Argies' claims.

You'll be calling them the Malvinas next.

On 13/02/2018 at 11:37, 442 said:

Hola,

Looking to land in Columbia around this time next year to spend approx. 5 months traveling through South America. Unsure on the route as of yet, going to base it around the best time to do Machu Picchu.

5 Months isn't the longest of time so at the moment I'm sacrificing Venezuela and Paraguay. Also wanted to spend limited time in Brazil (a few weeks tops) as I'm learning Spanish and want to talk as much Spanish as possible while I'm there.

We want a fair bit of flexibility so don't really want to just book onto a tour, a jump on jump off coach company would be pretty ideal.

Any experiences, tips on planning, what to do and what not to do is very welcome.

Looking (hopefully) at taking about 6k for the trip.

All I know Is the trip will end in Mexico as I have family there so we can chill out for a week or two and reflect on the craziness of the previous few months.

Thanks!

Wise choice staying clear from Venezuela.  I would avoid that country at all costs. 

On 15/02/2018 at 15:50, Neal M said:

Colombia is fantastic - though it's getting on for a decade since I was last there.  By all accounts it's getting safer all the time, but still use common sense.

That trip, I spent a month going across the top of South America from Bogota to Cayenne via Trinidad, Guyana, and Suriname.  Should have spent time in Venezuela too, but Chavez closed the border with Colombia and it looked like they were going to war for a bit.

Made other trips too.  A few to Brazil, and others to Argentina, & Uruguay.

It's a great continent.  Beautiful scenery and loads of history.  People are fantastic too.  So friendly.

Where did you go in Guyana? 

Barranquilla Carnival is a must. Love Colombia, especially Caribbean coast. The people are warm and outgoing. I know some people always say this about places but they basically dance as they walk. Minca near Santa Marta is one of the best places I've visited.  Colombia is safe apart from the far west and some suburbs of Bogota.

Its Colombia not Columbia though. I'm doing you a favour pointing it out as you'll annoy them!

On 28/03/2018 at 12:34, Owls_fan_since_1983 said:

We only went to Colombia as part of a cruise stopping at two different ports,   Cartagena and Santa Marta but was only here for the day,    done pretty much all Caribbean

Did you meet any nice girls whilst cruising the Caribbean?